DV29 + DAC for CD replay?

thatMikeguy

Novice Member
I am still waiting for the outcome of the MS-250/CD36 debate. In the meantime I am wondering if the purchase of a good quality DAC might give me the CD quality I am looking for. Is this a good idea? Does the DV29 act well as a transport? What brand should I consider to get CD36ish sound (if possible)? What cabling is best (type - I am partial to Cardas) I would appreciate any feedback offered. I am very torn as to what solution if going to get me great CD sound for the least expense as I am seriously considering the MS-250 if it is ever released. HELP!!

jorgandjean

Standard Member
I just added the Benchmark DAC1 to my configuration. Comparing it to my DV88plus and the AVP700, it is more dynamic, has more powerfull bass, a bigger soundstage and much more detailed. I have only been running it for a couple of hours, so there is still potential for improvement. The quality of sound must be comparable to the CD 36. I prefer the DAC route as it gives so much more flexibility. Try it, you won't be disappointed.

thatMikeguy

Novice Member
jorgandjean,
How is it connected? How tough is the setup? Thanks for the comment.

Anyone else have anything to share? I know the Benchmark is a great DAC any other ones to consider?
Thanks all.

arctor

Standard Member
I run an HTPC (Home theater PC) with a Benchmark DAC-1 and I'm very happy with the package. The DAC sounds a lot better the AVR300 DACS but I haven't tested against an Arcam CD player.

For me, I choose a DAC to make use of the HTPC, it allowed me to get great sound that could travel across both zone 1 & 2. I could store all my CDs in a loseless format and its flexible in that anything with PCM (like concert DVDs) can be used wih it. In terms of why I chose the DAC-1 it was a case of it sounded great and had great reviews.

On the whole the experiment with the HTPC is succesful, the ability to use it as a PVR, a DVD player (using DVI) and a general PC is nice. The flexibility it gives you is quite amazing. Its finicky though seemed to take ages to set up and even with new fans is a little noisy.

Will the MS-250 sounds a neat piece of kit and my HTPC can't touch it for ease of setup, looks, ease of operaton, number of zones and custom install features, I think its still seems expensive. Ultimately I think with the DAC-1 and a reasonble PC with a 400GB drive you can get something that would sound as good (for a single zone), be nearly as usable and a lot cheaper.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom