1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DV29 & AV8 - No SACD

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by BladeRnR, Oct 8, 2004.

1. BladeRnR

BladeRnR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone this is my first post. I just purchased the Arcam AV8 and Arcam DV29. Upgraded from Rotel 1098 & Marantz D12.

Ok. I've hooked it all up and as with all upgrades have performed all the tests. Of particular interest to me is the apparent lack of SACD through the DVD-A 7.1 Multichannel input. All I'm getting is Stereo mode & the Direct Mode indicator is hard on. There is now way I can see of turning Direct Mode off (Which in past units that had this feature always enforced a Stereo mode).

The test tones for the DV29 Analogue Multichannel work fine yet source material insists on coming out in Stereo. This setup was stupidly simple with the Rotel 1098 and all you ever had to do was select EXT (External) to use the External DACS/SACD Processing on the Player you were using.

I've tried everything I know and the manual has been of no help to me. Does anyone else here have this combination and have SACD working fine (As in 5.1 channels working?). My reference SACD is Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon :lease:

Cheers

2. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The DV29 is not a SACD player, but it is a DVD-A player. None of the Arcam players support SACD.

Dean

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    As stated, no Arcam DVD players can play SACD disks other than the standard CD layer if on the disk. This is the stereo output that you are getting.
    A bit of background to this can be found in This Thread with a link to an article from John Dawson on the Arcam web site explaining why Arcam don't do SACD replay on their DVD players.

HTH,
    Mark.

4. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also I have found dedicated sacd players to be generally a better quality way to go, but ANOTHER box!!

5. JetJockey

JetJockey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.

Yup, all the above is correct, so nothing to add really.

Just a quick question though. How does the FMJ29 and A8 perform after the Rotel 1098? Hopefully improvements all round?

Thanks, Gerald :)

6. BladeRnR

BladeRnR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes much to my chagrin and my embarrassment I've indeed confirmed the DV-29 does not have SACD. Oh well I'll get over it but I need to play my reference SACD Pink Floyd's - Dark Side Of The Moon on something. I might look at the Marantz S8400 or some other solution.

My only other gripe (And it seems to be a fairly common one) is the DV-29's absolutely pathetic remote. It's 2004 Arcam and you can't get a simple IR remote to respond? Are you kidding me? I have Logitech Z-680 PC Desktop Speakers with a central controller who's remote can be pointed BACKWARDS and still work instantly :lesson:

The player's performance itself is absolutely sterling though :clap:. Perfect product were in not for the SACD omission and shocking remote control.

Cheers everyone.

7. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    And aside from the cost of another box, I just don't have the spare inputs on my processor to handle more than one 5.1 analogue input device, even though the processor can be configured for two it would leave me with only two analogue inputs which is not enough. Therefore I am stuck with useing a second box (Pionerr 656) for both DVD-A & SACD and I am sure the DV29 would handle DVD-A better.

Yep,same with me. All my other remotes can be picked up and pointed in any direction and they still work. Still I've now got the DV29 programmed into my RC9200 so use that and it does a far more reliable job.

Mark.