1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DV29 and Pioneer Plasma Compatibility Problem

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by VoltronUS, Dec 10, 2004.

1. VoltronUS

VoltronUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have my DV29 connected to a current-generation Pioneer plasma (PRO-1120HD) by an HDMI cable. I have no separate audio connection between them. My problem is that when playing a cd or dvd-a on the DV29, if I then turn on the plasma and it was last on the DV29 input for the display, or if I have the plasma on but switch to that input, the DV29 will stop playing or even lock up causing me to restart the DV29. I don't recall if this happens every time, and I have not done scientific checks to see when it does and doesn't occur. But it did again last night when I turned on the plasma with a cd playing. Is there an incompatibility here? Is there some kind of signal sent back to the DV29 when the display comes on to the DV29 input? Other than "just don't do turn it on when it is playing," any thoughts, setting changes, or other ideas would be greatly appreciated. I plan to write Arcam support also. Thanks in advance.

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
    It would appear that when you turn on the plasma or switch to the input the DV29 is on it activates the HDMI connection communication link which asks the player to reboot in so they can synchronise with each other. I have come across this with the DV29 we have in the shop and the Pioneer PDP-435XDE on display.

3. VoltronUS

VoltronUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info Crusty. I will wait to see if others have ideas, but I guess for now I'll just avoid creating the conflict.

Cheers.

4. will1066

will1066

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    No real thoughts from me, Voltron, but it sounds interesting, to say the least. I hope you get it resolved.

5. malcolm mccabe

malcolm mccabe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Crustyloafer, what do you make of the new Pioneer Plasma range, I hear there are three lines. Is this the best plamsa to take advantage of HDMI? My current player DVD88 plus progressive is giving me problems, so am considering getting the FMJ DV29.

6. jgrg

jgrg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I think this is due to the HDCP anti-piracy system. If the player is already on and you then introduce the screen to the other end of the HDMI connection it thinks you might be trying to introduce a device to copy content, and so shuts off. With HDCP the screen has to be switched on before the source. HDCP DVD players enforce HDCP regardless of the type of disc playing.

James

7. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237

The new Pioneer plasma range are very good. There are only two lines at the moment, the FDE and the XDE models. The FDE models comes with a single analogue tuner in the media box and the XDE models come with a digital and analogue tuner in the media box. I would definitley say they are the best current models to take advantage of HDMI. If you are thinking of upgrading to the DV29 then think no more, it's a great machine and you won't regret getting it.

8. VoltronUS

VoltronUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    James--Thanks for your thoughts on the HDCP issue. That sounds plausible. I guess in the end the proper advice really is to turn on the display first and don't switch it on while playing a CD. It certainly cramps one's style when one is a muted channel surfer. :D