1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DV27a VS CD73, a comparison...

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by musicwave, Jul 26, 2005.

1. musicwave

musicwave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have received my Arcam DV27a, and have waited a bit before posting, so that I could let the differences between my CD73 and DV27a to sink in a bit... well, on the CD-quality front, I am a bit disappointed to say that the DV27a lacks the detail and resolution of the CD73, it is very noticable. Having said that, the DV27a seemed to have a darker sound, and what I mean by that is that it seems more live at the midrange... and it seems to have a slightly more open sound-stage. The CD73 is definitely bright in comparison, but the detail is amazing. I agree with most posters out there that if they had never heard the CD73, then the DV27a would be fine for CD playback, but after hearing what I would be missing, I am left to decide whether to keep another unit for CD-playback. My original goal was to consolidate the DVD and CD players into one unit... this isn't going to work now.

To conclude: If the DV27a possessed the detail of the CD73, while retaining the darker sound and soundstage, then this player would be awesome for CD-playback. I have not heard the DV29, but I had the chance to buy it for $370 more, but I chose the DV27a, because I wanted the SI deinterlacer, and because I didn't believe that there could possibly be a significant difference between the two for redbook audio... I wish I could hear one now.

On the video front: Coming from a 1-year old JVC XV-SA602 DVD player, the picture is needlessly to say: awesome! The detail is amazing, and the colors are much more accurate... especially the darker shades. The grainy frames are all but gone too... and I could tell this much of a difference on a 27" JVC non-progressive scan CRT! I am now looking for a Prog-scan TV... woot!

To really conclude: I really wish the CD playback was at least on par with the CD73, but it isn't... the Arcam rep even told me that expect playback to be equivallent to the CD82... and that is a factory upgrade for the CD73... what a crock of... ok, on with my post... I am happy to say that the upgrade in video-quality is making me want to keep both players around...

Equipment: Arcam A85 Int Amp
    Arcam Dv27a
    Arcam CD73
    AudioQuest interconnects
    B&W CDM-NT1 monitors

I also have a AVR200, JVC SA602, and 2 x EPOS ELS-3 speakers... can't think of what to do with them at the moment. :rolleyes:

2. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    nice review, thanks for the info :)

btw; i consolidated my audio and video into an HTPC and have never looked back. I used to use a dv88+ (with the sil503 upgrade) but now it's packed away....

CaM

3. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +540
    If you want a one box setup (well sort of), how about selling the CD73 and purchasing a external Dac with the proceeds. I only wished Arcam still made DAC's. The Dac can be hidden away, making it look like you only have 2 boxes. My Cyrus PSX-r and DAC are both hidden behind my centre speaker.

On the AVR200 side, why not use it to power the centre (or use phantom if non) and rear channels, whilst using the A85 to run the main speakers (you may need to upgrade to a A90 for maximum ease of use, as it contains a fixed level input mode). I have a similar set up with my fmj A32.

I will be interested in your thoughts.

4. musicwave

musicwave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was really thinking of using the Avr200 as the amp, and bi-amping the mains for 2 channel audio... the external dac is an idea, back when I was purchasing the CD73, I was looking at the Benchmark DAC-1... another option is dumping the 27a and getting a dv29, but we're talking some serious bucks there. I'm trying to leverage the best with what I've got. Let me know what you think.

5. WRG

WRG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    musicwave, I have the DV29 and had many similar questions about what CD player would be it's equal or better...if I remember some stated that the DV29 had better CD playback than the DV27a, and the DV29 may have been on par with the CD192 if my memory serves me :zonked: You can do a search on the DV29 and maybe find what you're looking for. I eventually settled on the CD33 which...though the DV29 has very good CD playback, I compared them here in my home and I much rather prefer the CD33, an excellent player, and sounding sweeter with each play, it's not broken-in yet ;) Thats all the useful feedback I can give you, hope it helps anyway, good luck in your search :smashin:

6. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +540
    Is the 27a upgradable to a dv29?

7. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Hi Stevos,

'Fraid not, the only way to upgrade would be to sell the DV27A and buy the DV29! :)

Cheers

Andy

8. musicwave

musicwave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Arcam rep that I've been in contact with said that the DV29 is equivallent to the CD192 for redbook playback. Since I was audio first, video a close second, it was important to me... however, when he said that the DV27a would be an upgrade to the CD73, I was sold, due to the prog scan output, price difference (albeit 370.00)... I am thinking of ebaying off my CD73, so that I'm not sinking too much into the DV27a... it's a fine player, despite what I've said... I guess I'm just picky...

9. Baltika_no_9

Baltika_no_9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The A85 also has a fixed level input as long as the firmware is at (I think) revision 2.2 or higher. I had mine updated to get this feature.

Regards