1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DV27A owners' help required

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Mr Grumpy, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Mr Grumpy

Mr Grumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I purchased one of these beauties a few days ago and as well as the dealer having misplaced the owner's manual (it will be forwarded on as agreed or they'll certainly hear from me!) it is also in the wrong box. I just wondered if I could get some kind sole to tell me the correct remote control for this player as due to the box being for a DV27 I am wondering whether my 'CR-314' remote might be the wrong one.

2. Rotorsport

Rotorsport
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    My DV27a came with a CR-415 and my CD33 came with a CR-314.
    Hope this helps.

3. steeled

steeled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    My DV27A also came with a CR-415. You can download the manual from the Arcam web-site. They are under the technical support section. Try this link here

Regards

4. Mr Grumpy

Mr Grumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Found the specs, though not the manual on the above link. I could only seem to find manuals for current models. It does rather sound as though I have the wrong remote from the replies so far. I guess it will function to some degree but it's obviously not ideal.
    I can only conclude that whoever bought the shop's last DV27 got my box and remote (maybe my manual too...)

:(

5. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I've got a 27a manual in pdf if you need it. 4.4Mb, but I can trying mailing it to you if you PM me your address.

Edit ... or just download it here

Cheers, Carl.

6. Mr Grumpy

Mr Grumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Cheers Carl, most appreciated - I now have a manual.

:thumbsup:

* Looks like I have the right remote after all then according to the manual.

7. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    I think you'll find it's normal for Arcam remotes to only function to some degree!

8. SMCC

SMCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The manual refers to the original remote. Later players came with the CR-415 (dark grey/black) remote and an addendum to the manual. The remote is visible in the "What Home Cinema" April 04 review (click the link in the list of reviews at the top of the Arcam forum). If you want a copy of the addendum to see what the remote does, PM me and I'll scan it for you.

9. Mr Grumpy

Mr Grumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Ok a slight change of direction but the title is still relevant so no point creating another thread IMHO.

Connected up the DV27a earlier on and was more thna a little surprised by my findings. I had assumed that in order to get the best performance from the unit I would need to use the 3 horizontally arranged component outs marked as progressive. The problem being that when I used these I got a horizontally scrolling bright band on my PJ display. Having powered down (not the PJ) and swapped to the other component sockets I acheived a decent display.
    Bearing in mind that the player is connected via a Denon 3805 to a Screenplay 7200 are my findings 'normal' ?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated as there's nothing obvious in the setup menus on the player that I can see.

:confused:

10. tvh3ad

tvh3ad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I have no such problem with my 27A. You definitely want to get this resolved: the 27A's progressive video is vastly superior to standard interlaced. (And without it, that pricey SI deinterlacer is gathering dust!)

So...I'd start by ruling out the source material. Is the problem evident on more than one DVD? If yes, move on to the receiver; connect the 27A directly to your display and see if the problem goes away. If it does, then the Denon is the culprit. If not, either check your display by connecting another progressive player or, if that's not an option, check the 27A by connecting it to a different display.

HTH.

11. Mr Grumpy

Mr Grumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Having scoured through the manual (again..) the only thing I came up with is that maybe it could be something to do with the fact that I have the scart connected to the telly in addition to the component feed going to the Denon. From the manual: "if you use component video outputs then you must ensure that the scart socket is not used....."
    Seems a little odd as my old Sony allowed the connection of both scart AND component at once.
    I'll give this a try tomorrow unless anyone comes up with further suggestions.

FWIW the sound has already impressed me with the numerous DVDs I have been trying in the player, just need to sort the picture and I'l lbe a happy bunny.

12. steeled

steeled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    If I remember correctly it is not possible to use the interlaced component outputs and the SCART at the same time as the same video DAC is used to drive them. However it should be possible to use the progressive component outputs and the RGB SCART as these are on separate DACs.

Are you sure the Denon AV amp can switch progressive scan video? And also can it superimpose the On-screen Display on a progressive signal.

HTH

13. Mr Grumpy

Mr Grumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Well at present I have the scart AND the interlaced component connections in use and it is working fine, it was with the progressive and scart used where I was seeing the image issues described in the earlier post.

Hmmm anyone else using a similar setup to me as I am not sure precisely what the 3805 can and can't do all of a sudden.... :confused:

14. Mr Grumpy

Mr Grumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Just to confirm that the problem was indeed due to the fact that you can't have the scart AND prog component outputs in use at the same time. I now have it working and am extremely happy with my purchase.
    A big thanks to all those who convinced me to try the DV27a, I certainly won't be in any hurry to get rid until the High definition machines are affordable and offer a worthwhile improvement in performance.

:thumbsup: