1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DV27A outputting in B&W......

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by spiderv6, Dec 31, 2003.

1. spiderv6

spiderv6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...or is it the AV32R?

My DV27A is connected up via progressive to my PJ and works brilliantly.

I got round to connecting up a S-Video connection to the AV32R last night for use as occasional viewing to the TV but the picture is in black and white. This happens on both R1 and R2 discs and the TV supports NTSC and PAL.

I'm not sure if this is a DV27 or AV32 issue. Anyone else had this?

2. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Maybe you have the S1 and S2 input options for your pj? I know for example that Pioneer players can output either S Video option depending on the display device.

I can't remember how they differ. Maybe someone else can expand on it. Anyway, if you haven't done already, check the S1/2 S Video settings in the menus.

3. kevshed

kevshed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Does the S-Output of your AV32R work properly with other sources....?

Also, i'd hook up the DV27A with S-Video direct to the projector, just to make sure that the S Output on the DVD is working properly...

Basic things.. but you never know. In my experience B/W S-video is almost always an NTSC issue.... or a dud cable of course.

Kev

4. spiderv6

spiderv6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I just tried connecting the DV27 directly to the TV via an S-Video socket on the front panel (I didn't even know it was there....) and it worked perfectly.

I have checked the manual and it says that the TV Scart sockets carry S-Video signals but I am still getting b&w when I route it through the AV32R.

So, it would seem that the AV32R is doing something to the signal to make it b&w. I have tried NTSC and PAL material and they are both b&w so that is not the issue.

TAG are of course closed today so I can't ask tham until next
    week....:rolleyes:

5. MarkB4506

MarkB4506

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Just my two pennys worth, but this hasn't been mentioned..... have you made sure the scart socket involved has been 'told' the incoming signal is S-video?

Reason being, the composite input pin is used for S-video luminance, a different pin is used for chrominance.

There's no switching signal akin to that for RGB so scarts have to be manually configured in the TV's menu.

If the scart is 'set' to composite, and you feed it S, it'll only see the luma, so you get a B/W picture.

Since it's happening on both PAL & NTSC it's worth checking this.

S-video 4-pin DIN sockets dont need configuring- they only carry S.

If the scart involved is AV2 say there's usually an option for AV2S or similar.

6. spiderv6

spiderv6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mark,

Yep, there is an AV2S but it still does not work......anyway I'm off out until next year so it will have to keep!

7. kevshed

kevshed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    agree with mark.. this seems the most likely thing to me... would appear the scart socket in question is not configured properly.. or could be faulty worst case.

Very unlikly the processor swiching is causing it... but anythings possible.

Kev