1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DV27a Help advice plz

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by BigAl217, Jun 22, 2004.

1. BigAl217

BigAl217

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Just received back my DV27 fully upgraded by those lovely people at Arcam and PJ HiFI. I have been playing around with somed DVD-A discs I bought in preperation for its return.

The multichannel option sounds superb and is certainly a different type of listening experiance, however the disks also offer a 2 channel advanced resolution option. When I play any of the disks using the stereo option my front L & R speakers sound like someone is inside ripping the drivers and cones apart to get out whilst being shot with an electric stun gun. As you can imagine it didnt sound too healthy so havent experimented too much but have tried the different PCM / bitstream options but no change.

Is it the case that if I wish to listen to the 2 channel option on DVD-A discs I need a 2 channel DVD-A player (If there is such a thing) or am I doing something wrong in my set up.

Thanks in advance for any advice feedback left.

Cheers
    Alan

2. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Alan,
    I've not heard this on my DV27A but then again I'm not 100% certain that I've listened to DVD-A in 2 channel. I'm certain that the DV27A caters for 2 channel DVD-A (i think!)
    I'll check tonight when I get home but it doesn't sound very good :(

Regards
    John

3. bamber

bamber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a DV27A (SDI) and listen exclusively to the 2 channel 96/192Khz DVDA tracks. Make sure you use the analog audio outputs and the bypass on your processor for 192Khz listening . Using the digital audio output will downsample but will still sound ok.

4. BigAl217

BigAl217

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Cheers for the replies. I would be intrested to see what you find Steve as our kit is virtually Identical. Infact I borrowed some 203s for a month or so when I sold my Q5s but ended up going with the New Dyn Contours.

Im connecting to the AV8 with analogue interconnects and it is set to direct mode so no DSP going on. I definately have a problem though and just cant figuer it. I disconnected everything bar the necessery 2 channel connections and still the same. My DV27 also has the SDI mod.

I have an olsen sounds fantastic mains distribution and RA ref power cords althought I've never really had any mains problems.

5. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Doh, sorry Al, I didn't to check last night as I was a bit the worst for wear because of the odd beer or 20. I will definately look tonight.

Out of interest how do you find the SDI compared to component on the DV27 and what are you feeding it in to (Lumagen etc)

Regards and apologies
    John

6. BigAl217

BigAl217

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Whoops :blush: dont know where Steve came from apologies John.

As an update to the above I am getting the same but to a lesser degree interferance via my headphones via the AV8 output so I guess that takes the speakers, speaker cabling and P7 out of the equation.

Yes Im feeding the SDI output via a Lumagen VisionHDP (only picked up this week was feeding direct to media reciever beore) and there is definately a preceived improvement from the Interlaced components I was using before. I say preceived as I havent really had a chance to play with it as yet unfortunately work sometimes gets in the way. I will let you know more once I have calibrated it with my DVE disc which wont be this weekend as Im away at the in laws :thumbsdow

Cheers
    Alan

7. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Alan,
    Ran a quick test last night prior to another England inspired drinking binge!!! and every thing was hunky dorey on my system. I tried REM - Automatic for the people and it was fine. Tried Fleetwood Mac (Rumours) but I couldn't work out how to set that to 2 channel, there seemed to be no obvious menu option.
    Out of interest what disc(s) where you using? If I have those same disc I'll give that a whirl

Cheers
    John

8. BigAl217

BigAl217

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi John,
    only have three sdiscs at the moment, Hotel California, Best of REM and Linkin Park Reanimation. Havent tried the latter in 2 channel but have the problem of the first two. The more I try the more I think there is an issue with the upgrade from Arcam as I cant see anything in the AV8 settings that would be causing it. Hopefully its not related to the SDI mod. I've fired off an email to my dealer so will see if they have any ideas.

Cheers
    Al

9. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Al,
    I'll give Linkin Park & Eagles a go and report back
    Cheers
    John

10. X3ELS

X3ELS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    Just to let you know we have the solution for this problem, and it was not caused by the SDI modification ;)

Alan, you have email....

11. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Out of topic, is there a way to enable the DV2to output 192 via coaxial ?