1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DV27A DVD-Audio questions/issues

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Byter, Oct 11, 2004.

1. Byter

Byter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have just received my updated DV27A (was a plain DV27 before) a few days ago and just began to enjoy the update. So far I´m really happy - it was quite an improvement and the DVD-A sound is superb. :smashin:
    There are a few questions/issues though:

- Setting "Stereo+Sub" to CUT results in far too much bass with Stereo DVD-A tracks. Even by setting the levels of "Stereo+Sub" to -10db, there is still about 6-10db too much level on the sub. :eek: Surround tracks and everything else is ok.

- Is there a way to switch between DVD-A and DVD-V content of a mixed disc without going into setup, changing the priority and reloading the disc?? Couldn´t find anything in the manual...

- I have a disc (Natalie Merchant - Tigerlily) that is supposed to have both Advanced resolution surround and stereo tracks, but there is no menu entry to change tracks. Pressing "Audio" during playback also does not change tracks, as if there is only one. Either it is an error on the cover or the dv27a doesn´t recognize the DVD-A stereo track?! Other discs with both tracks play fine...

- I cannot play the DVD-A "Santana - Shaman", the player just freezes at the title menu. The DVD-A is new and starts to play, so a disc defect is unlikely. Has anyone else experienced this problem with that disc?

Any help/tips appreciated. Software-Version is 5.8.0 btw.

Regards,
    Byter

2. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    With all speakers set to small, stereo sources sub output is -6db, with multi channel sources the sub output is -18db.

3. bjoern

bjoern
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    It seems to be the same situation with all speakers set to LARGE, or any other setting. Very annoying...
    But, with multi channel material such as DD5.1 or DTS5.1 the sub level is higher (normal). It is only low with DVD-A.
    Is there any good explanation to why the sub output is -18dB (or -6dB)? Is it a "bug" or a good reason for it?

4. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    This is definitely an error on the cover of the disc, there is no dedicated stereo soundtrack on this disc. I have come across several discs that claim to have both but don't, I think they expect you to use the stereo downmixing functions on the player which sounds rubbish. Its a great album though, don't be too disappointed.

5. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    This is why there is a 10dB boost option on the multi channel inputs on the Arcam AVR300 and many other AV amps, it is because the subwoofer channel is recorded 10dB lower than all the other channels on DVD-A. Arcam DVD players will only output the signals exactly as they are on the disc and rely on the AV amp to apply the required 10dB boost. Some DVD-A players have the option to apply this boost before the audio leaves the player but not on the Arcam.

6. bjoern

bjoern
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    OK, I see...
    But a boost would then result in a too high signal for DD and DTS material if the analog in/outputs are used. Personally I like to do so since the sound quality is far better this way compared to use the digital in/output and decoding in my AV processor.

When you manage speaker levels in the player, the noise generated by the player is low for the sub channel, but when using a calibration disc with, for exampel, DD coding, the signal is normal. To me this looks more like the player is actually cutting the sub signal? Or, does the player boost the sub signal for DD and DTS material? Am I missing something here?

7. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    Then I think you need a better processor.

8. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    I think for this one you will need to ask Andy or J.D.

9. bjoern

bjoern
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well...the processor's analog inputs are OK (even good actually). But if it turns out that the £1.900 DVD-A player with built in DD/DTS decoder can't handle both without changes in the setup and I have to use the digital input on the processor, then a better processor might be necessary ( I love excuses to upgrade :) ).
    I don't think that will be the case in the end... or not quite yet...