Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

DV27A Black level question

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Timmy C, Dec 30, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    I've recently been playing around with a PAL copy of DVE and have found something a little strange going on! When using the pattern for setting black level I've found that sometimes all 3 black bars can be seen but other times you can only see two, no matter what level I have the brightness set to. When I first got the player I was pretty sure only two bars were showing. Going back a week later there were 3, then back to two the next time and so on. I started to think I was going nuts or maybe there were two similar patterns with different amounts of bars.

Today I looked and there was only two bars showing so I decided to start playing with the set up menu. I changed a setting from rgb to component (although as I understand it this should have no effect on the prog. scan output that I'm using) and then switched off the machine for 30 seconds. Switched it back on and the third black bar was back.

Can anyone explain what's going on?

2. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    No one got any thoughts on this?

3. Engineer

Engineer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Timmy,
    The DV27A does properly output below-black signals (ie. luma of < 16) so it is probably down to the monitor.
    The whole point of the pluge test is to set up black level correctly, so that the bar that is 'below-black' (ie the darkest bar) should not be visible. The idea is to increase the brightness so you can see it, then bring down just to the point where you cannot see it anymore. Then your monitors black level will be equivelant to the correct luma value of 16.
    If you have your monitor set about that point then sometimes you may see it and sometimes not, depending on light conditions and how long the monitor has been on etc.
    Some people will tell you that you need to be able to display below-black levels all the time for DVDs that have images below-black. This is not advisable, because these discs are rare and are incorrectly authoured in any case. If you do that you will only be compromisiing performance for the majority of correctly authoured discs.
    Hope this helps.

4. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    Thanks but my point is the 'below black' bar is not always visable regardless of how much I turn the brightness of the pj up or down. One day the dvd player is capable of displaying the below black bar and the next it isn't. It seems to me that either I have somehow been changing the black level output on the dvd player without realizing it in one of the menus or it's doing it itself! It's nothing to do with my pj as this never happened with other machines and the room lighting is always the same. I know my Denon machine had two different black level settings. Is there something similar in the Arcam menu that I may have changed that could be causing this?