1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DV27A/AV8/P7 wow! but some help please.

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by MikeE, Oct 18, 2004.

1. MikeE

MikeE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    First the good bit (for me anyway..)

After many years of reading and occasional participation on these forums (including an exchange with John Dawson) and having read too many magazines, having had some unconvincing demos, and having tried to convince myself I could not justify spending more than a couple of grand on a hi-fi / home cinema system, I was completely confused and forever waiting for the next product launch. Combined with this, I also knew (although it took my wife to convince me) that whatever I bought, I wouldn’t be completely satisfied if I could have afforded something that sounded better. So I bought nothing…

What changed? Well I noticed the DVD player that had always been at the top of my list, was about to become extinct and for the first time the newer one wasn’t going to be better for what I needed (progressive out to my series 5 panasonic plasma). So out I went to buy a cheap DV27A as a first step to upgrading my system and back I came with a very cheap DV27A, plus an AV8 and a P7!! Good news for John Dawson and the boys at Arcam, not so good for my bank manager!

Anyway, WOW!… that’s what my CD’s and movies are meant to sound like.

Actually, while they are better than I’ve ever heard them and I’m staggered how good CD’s can sound, it has also reminded me just how much better they used to sound when I had a separate hi-fi. Years ago, after similar deliberation, I bought an Arcam Alpha 6 CD and Delta 290 along with some Kef reference speakers and spent many happy years listening to music. Then I got into surround sound and started another pile of equipment and speakers at the other end of the room. Eventually even I got fed up having two sets of equipment and speakers in the one room and made the dreadful error of combining the two. Then the laser on the CD failed (understandable given the amount of use) and I started playing CD’s on the DVD player. And then gradually I just stopped sitting down and listening to music. I thought it was my tastes/interests had changed, but I realise now it was just the life and excitement had slowly disappeared from the music without me really noticing.

So now everything is almost perfect, I still have just one system, but now I have music that’s better than my old hi-fi and I have movie sound that’s better than the local cinema. And I’m settled in my mind that I could not have afforded anything that might be better.

So why only almost perfect? Well my first AV8 went bang after 10 minutes (actually the AV8 didn’t go bang, my speakers did, the AV8 just went blank). This was replaced with a new unit the very next working day along with many apologies. So well done Arcam and Sevenoaks. I understand these things do happen and I can’t ask for any more.

My questions relate to the second AV8 and the DV27A. When I adjust the volume on the AV8, either with the remote or from the front panel I get a popping sound in my speakers. It’s not loud, but you can’t miss it either. It also does a similar thing when the surround mode is changed. Is this normal, is it the result of my less than optimum wiring layout (until I can get a new cabinet with wheels or runners I have to lean over the back to connect everything so cannot keep the cables neat), or do I have another faulty AV8? Also, although not actually a fault, I notice when in standby that the AV8 is sending something to my screen as it is light grey rather than black as you would expect, is this also normal?

The other problem I have is with the DVD audio outputs from the DV27A, or rather the lack of them! I can get left and right analogue channels from both sets of outputs on the 27A and I’ve swapped the outputs around into the AV8’s multi-channel input to prove that the AV8 is working okay. But, when I try to calibrate the other channels on the 27A using it’s setup pages I get no sound from any of the other channels. Same also applies when I try to play back a DVD audio disk, no sound from anything other than left and right channels. And it’s not a downmixed stereo either as it really sounds like something is missing from the sound. I’ve checked and I do have the audio output set to bitstream + 6 ch. as instructed (I even tried the others settings just in case). Do I also have a faulty DVD27A or have I missed something in the manuals?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be very much appreciated before I have to unplug the whole lot again and drag it back to the dealers. I’m sure this time they will be less willing to accept they are faulty, especially if it’s both the AV8 and the DV27A, and in general I’m so pleased with the sound and picture, I don’t want this to end up being a bad experience.

Thanks, Mike.

2. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Can't immediately comment on the faint clicking on the volume control as I need to consult a colleague but as regards DVD-A you need to set the priority on the DVD player to DVD-A. Have you done that? Otherwise it will try to play the DVD-V part of the disc.

John Dawson (Arcam)

3. MikeE

MikeE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm fairly sure I tried all the options, but I will definitely try that again tonight to be sure. Would this setting also have prevented the setup calibration levels from working? Do I need a DVD audio disk in the player to be able to do the calibration?

Many thanks, Mike

4. MikeE

MikeE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well, I tried setting the priority to DVD-A, with and without a disc in the player and I still did't get any sound from anything but the left and right channels. That applies to both the calibration screen in the DV27A setup and when playing back a disc (actually I tried three different DVD-A discs). I didn't write it down, so excuse any mistakes, but pressing the audio button on the remote when playing a disc put up something like 1/1 LLPCM 6 ch.

I don't have the serial number with me but I recall the box had an August despatch date so I assume the player must have recent firmware etc.

Any more thoughts or will I have to return my player?

Thanks, Mike

5. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    You say the pair of front stereo outputs work ok but the rear/center/sub doesn't? What happens if you plug the front input on the amp to the rear output from the dvd player, do you then get anything out of it on the dvd player's rear outputs (in the trims screen of the dvd player setup with test noise set to on)? You do realise to get the test sound to come out each speaker you can only do it one speaker at a time - you have to turn on the test sound and then press down until the speaker you want to test is selected?

6. MikeE

MikeE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    As I step down through the channels in the DV27A setup screen I get sound from left, no sound from centre, sound from right, then no sound from surround left, right or sub.

I swapped the left channel and centre channel inputs on the AV8 and in the DV27A setup screen the left channel still made the sound but it came from the centre speaker and the centre still made no sound (should have come from the left speaker. The right channel made a sound from the right and no sound from the others as before.

I'm therefore sure it is at the DV27A end rather than the AV8.

Thanks for taking the time to respond, Mike.