1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DV27A audio question

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Shaka, Mar 4, 2005.

1. Shaka

Shaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Hi,

I recently purchased the DV27A (ex-demo) and have been very happy with it, the difference in picture quality is stunning. However I have noticed thing with regards to audio performance, which is bothering me slightly (just a little mind!!)
    I feel the sound is bit 'quieter' than it used to be with my older Sony DVD player. I don't understand this at all because I'm not using any of the internal DACs of the DV27A. It's connected, via digital co-axial, to the AVR300 which deals with movie soundtrack decoding, and it's connected, via digital optical, to the Trivista DAC which handles CD playback (in turn connected to the AVR300 via analogue interconnects). This is the exact same connection setup I had with my previous Sony DVD player.
    Yet I feel the sound is a bit quieter so I have the volume turned up higher than I used to have it at (and no I haven't gone deaf :)) Due to this I also feel the sound is less open and crisp than before, but that may just be my imagination.
    I was wondering if any one has any ideas as to what could be causing this. I tried playing around with the audio setup on the DV27A and then thought as the sound signals are going straight out via the digital connections, the setup wouldn't (shouldn't) have any effect on the digital signal (???)

cheers,

Shaka

2. Mr Grumpy

Mr Grumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Not too sure what your 'problem' might be but I have been thoroughly impressed with my DV27A (having gone from a Sony 7700 which is not exactly a bad player). Maybe it could be simply that your Sony was a little bright in it's presentation compared to the Arcam, I never got to compare my old Sony with the Arcam sadly.
    I even began hearing extra detail in cds that I have owned for many years which really surprised me. As you also mention, the picture quality is pretty sensational too. Let's just say I am in no real hurry to go down the HD road as I have the perfect player to tide me over until the format war reaches a conclusion.
    Good luck in sorting out your particular issue. :)