1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DV27A and Cables

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by spiderv6, Dec 10, 2003.

1. spiderv6

spiderv6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just place an order for a DV27A and I have started thinking about the cables that I need for the DVD-A. I would have thought that by now, someone would have brought out a "pack" of cables for this purpose (and at better pricing!) but I can't find any.

Does anone know of such a thing?

What are you guys using for cables for DVD-A?

2. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did't find a pack when I was looking for mine, so not sure if there is any now.
    Cables are a nightmare as there are so many emanating from the back. 6 for DVD-A, 2 for CD (not everyone will want these), 3 for component, 1 for coax........oh and the power lead :(

I ended up using Atlas Equator which I got for a reasonable price but if I did it again I would probably use Mark Grant's or Scorpion cables.

Regards
    John

3. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I use the Chord RGB SCART, good but expensive, also have an Audioquest G-SCART for the cable box which is almost as good...

I used to have a Siltech coax IC, (now on the cable box), but tried and bought the Apogee Wide-Eye, reasonable cost and much better...

Tested a few PCs, have the Van Den Hul Mainsstream, a big improvement with bass extension and dynamic range, the Eupen works fine too, but a little less highs and cheaper...

Another wortwhile tweak is a sheet or Stillpoints ERS RF suppression on top of it, now I have it glued to the top of the case, inside, and it improved even more, less digital glare...

Also have it on Audioprism Isobearings, better bass and larger soundstage... :rolleyes:

4. MarkB4506

MarkB4506

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4

Bluejeans Cable (www.bluejeanscable.com) will make a set of 6 cables enclosed in what they call 'TechFlex' - it's a sort of nylon sheath for the cables. It's very neat.

5. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Chord Chorus cables are always going for good prices on ebay. Im assuming your talking about (dvd-a) side of things here.
    I got two pairs on ebay for a very good price. New they are £150 a pair and they sound excellent against anything this side of £1000 imho.

CH

6. spiderv6

spiderv6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was and I assumed that the stereo pair would be driven from two of the DVD-A 6 sockets. I now realise I need 8 new cables.

Jeez.....this is such an expensive game!!

7. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SpiderV6,
    You don't have to have 8 cables, the only reason I do it is to be able to run PL2 and effetcs from the analogue input, you can achieve the same effect from the digital coax. I just happen to prefer the analogueversion, whereas I believe that Lowrider uses the digital which he prefers. Horses for courses I supose and which DACS are better!

Regards
    John

8. spiderv6

spiderv6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John,

My expectation (I haven't got my DV27A yet) is that the DACs in the Arcam are going to do a better job than the Tag for CD replay. Hence, the need for interconnects (as well, of course, the digital connections)

CD replay performance was one of the main reasons for choosing the DV27A.

Cheers
    Spider

9. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spider,
    Agree re the CD replay of the DV27, it still amazes mes as to its ability. Those Bluejeans cables look a reasonable price that MarkB pointed out or you could look over at the DIY forum, some of the guys there have built some pretty good ones apparently.

Regards
    John

10. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I didn´t have analog bypass on my TAG, so I couldn´t compare their DACs, but I did with the Krell Showcase, and the processor´s are noticeably better, plus I use bass management and DPLII for CDs, so it is the digital conection for me, besides sounding better in my system, I save two extra conversions... :cool:

And some cables... :rolleyes:

11. spiderv6

spiderv6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Guys, not sure if Blue Jeans Cables are quite what I am looking for - and DIY cables? Hmmm, me and a soldering iron really is not something that was ever meant to happen!

What is it they say - spend 10% of the cost of your system on cables?

I'm too scared to add that number up!

12. Mr THX

Mr THX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Spider
    I use three pairs of Noirdost Solar Wind cables for DVD-A and Nordost Blue Heaven for CD replay. These can be picked up all over at reasonable prices, no need to pay retail (Which is £95 and £165 p.mtr respectively) you can pick them up for half this. Find them on E-Bay and in the free ad's at AudiophileCandy excellent cables at a resonable prices.

13. pringtef

pringtef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I'm using DNM Reson Bullet cables with my DV27A, and am very impressed with the quality.

Since purchasing a pair, I've subsequently changed all my interconnects to these, and am now also using DNM reson speaker cable for all my speakers.

They can be got for £77.99 for a metre pair @ http://www.cable-shop.co.uk.

cheers,

timbo