DV27 used v DV88+ new. Best?

rkb

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
Advice much needed and appreciated from Arcam users...
I'm getting a DV88+ new after trying for ages to find a used DV27. Of course now that I've ordered the 88+, a DV27 turns up!

Dilema- which will give best PQ? original DV27 with VaddisIII or latest DV88+.

I'll be using it with FMJ22Dave and FMJ25/3, so Dv27 is a better cosmetic match and I would expect it to be better on CD replay.

DV88+ at £499 or DV27 at £750ish?

Display is presently a Toshiba 46" rear-proj- not prog scan, but a soon-to -be purchased PJ will be Prog Scan.

If the video performance is similar, I would lean towards the DV27 for better(?) CD replay and match with my other kit.

Input from the Arcam staff very welcome!

Regards

rkb

I think the dv88+ will beat it on video performance.

As far as audio performance, don't they share the same dacs, but the dv27 has (much) better build quaility?

Actually Im going to go with the opposite - I think the DV27 will outperform the DV88+ in progressive scan even with the Valdis3 chip. It has a dedicated Sil progressive scan board which is supposed to offer better video performance than the all encompassing Valdis5 found in the DV88+.

Thanks for the views,guys.

I spoke to 2 dealers- one chose the 88+, the other said DV27 :eek:

Maybe someone from Arcam might offer a view:lease:

Cheers

rkb

John Dawson said this in another thread -

The upgrade path for the DV89 is quite specific, in that you can add a progressive scan board based on the Silicon Image SiI504 deinterlacer, as used in the DV27 family. This has some benefits to ultimate PS video quality and also allows you to output interlaced and progressive video simultaneously, which some customers find useful for running video simultaneously to two places in the house.

No other hardware upgrades are planned.

HTH.

John Dawson (Arcam)

The FMJ model has a much better progressive scan board and will sound better with the audio as well. Plus the fact that you can upgrade it latter on to get the same spec as a FMJ DV27+.

CaM

Hi
today I decided to go with the DV27. I thought it would be at least a performance match for the 88+ and a cosmetic match for my other FMT kit.
And two other dealers reckoned it would be better than the 88+:smoke:

Thanks for the posts, guys

rkb

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom