DV27 Upgrade

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Hawklan, Apr 3, 2003.

1. Hawklan

Hawklan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    DV27 Upgrade Path

You guy’s may already know this but if like me you didn’t I’ll write this post anyway

I just spoken to Arcam Customer Support about the DV27 Upgrade path to DVD Audio
    Here’s what they said:
    For around £600 to £650 you can get you DV27 upgraded to the full DV27A spec - In fact it will be indentical to new DV27A's being rolled out. This includes having Vaddis 5 processor and a swap out of the DVD drive and other boards (the exact details of what other boards will be upgraded it not yet confirmed). However the great news (for me anyway) is that you will still retain your for Silicon Image progressive scan board to output progressive scan which apparently is far superior to the progressive capabilities of the Vaddis 5 processor.
    In the past I understood that you would not retain the Silicon board and would have to put up with the Vaddis 5’s progressive scan capabilities if you wanted to upgraded to DVD Audio.
    If that still were the case I would not be upgrading – But hey since it’s - I guess I will.

Time wise expect the upgrade to be ready towards the end of May

If you guy's know that any of the above is incorrect please let me know

Many thanks

RON:clap:

2. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    From what I understand, if you own a DV27+ the upgrade will cost about £300. i.e. the same as DV88+ to DV89.

Could be wrong, and these are only rumoured pricing; and no official news from Arcam yet.

StooMonster

3. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +660
    Ouch! That's a lot more expensive than they were originally suggesting. Last estimate I heard was £400 for the lot. :(

What benefit is derived from changing the DVD drive?

4. Hawklan

Hawklan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    Hi

"What benefit is derived from changing the DVD drive?"
    I have no idea - there does not seem to be a immediate benefit,
    maybe it's just to bring it in line with the infrastructure of the DV27A

Another point to note: is I asked if there would be any difference between my upgraded DV27 and a new DV27A
    To answer was NO! - Now that I think about this that does not quite gell as the new DV27's have the newer Silicon board 504
    where as mine is the 503 version

What would be really handy is details of exactly what we are getting for the upgrade. Maybe if John Dawson reads this post he would be kind enough to share with us what he is able to

RON

5. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Arcam DVD players are modular by design, which is a good thing.

What I think you'll be getting is effectively two upgrades: firstly to DV27+, secondly to DV27A.

DV27+ upgrade would include new motherboard with Zoran Vaddis V decoder, and new drive transport mechanism (LT model C). In other posts on this board John Dawson has said that DV27+ still uses SiI503, because the only difference with SiI504 is footprint and power consumption; so that will stay the same.

DV27A upgrade is the same daughterboard card in both DV89 and DV27A, so this card needs to be fitted (but it requires the other upgrade to work).

Therefore the price reflects the cost of these two upgrades, and I think is cheaper than getting them done seperately. i.e. DV27 to DV27+ then DV27+ to DV27A.

StooMonster

6. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    which is where I think I will be stung.. as I have paid for the upgrade from DV88 to + and will have to pay again to go to the 89 level...

Though I am having serious doubts..DVD-A has not exactly produced a huge catalogue of good albums..mostly old stuff I have no interest in.

Matt

7. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Exactly, I won't be upgrading in a hurry.

I checked the entire Amazon DVD-Audio catalogue and I don't think there was one title amoungst the 1970s rock (Queen, Eagle, Fleetwood Mac, Yes, Clapton, Deep Purple, Neil Young, Steely Dan, Grateful Dead, Foreigner. etc.) filled selection that I would buy.

Perhaps you have to be a gentlemen of a certain age to be interested in DVD-Audio? :clown:

StooMonster

8. Hawklan

Hawklan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    Hi Matt/StooMonster

I agree with you guy's regarding the availability of DVD Audio tracks - DVD Audio has never been that important to me - It's the movies that count thats why I bought a DVD player in the first place

Assuming I can just upgrade to DV27+ thats probably the route I'll take for now

RON

9. jeroen999

jeroen999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello can I ask something?
    Would you know if I update the dv 27 to the 27plus.
    Would this be a great dIfference? and is this better in every way?

hope you know

jeroen

10. Hawklan

Hawklan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    Hi

My understanding is that the majority of the benefit will be for the interlaced signal. Posts that I have seen comparing the DV88 and DV88+ indicate goods gains from the upgrade in this area.
    Progressive should stay pretty much the same (same board being used).
    And no known changes on the audio front unless you go for the all inclusive DVD Audio Upgrade.

At the moment since the upgarde is not available, first hand knowledge is impossible

RON

11. jeroen999

jeroen999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oeps sorry:blush: what is a ""interlaced signal""""

Äns would you consider the("" old"") dv 27 in all ways better then the dv 88 plus?

kind regards Jeroen

12. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    "Interlaced" is not progressive-scan, on DV27 using the bottom set of component connectors not the top ones.

Is the "old" DV27 better than DV88+? Yes (IMHO).

StooMonster

13. rafaelp

rafaelp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just guessing here. Perhaps the new drives come with larger memory buffers or are faster to alleviate some of the dropouts that can't be fixed by firmware updates. Also newer formats might be supported (e.g. DVD-RW).

14. mlinhares

mlinhares
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Are they (DV89 FMJ27A) going to have a DVD-A digital out?

15. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    I could be wrong, but I believe there six outs; one for each channel.

The DVD-Audio card has six more 24-bit 192kHz Wolfson audio DACs, with 117dB signal/noise ratio; above the two already used in the DV27 and DV27+ for analogue output.

The card has low jitter audio master clocks to supports all DVD-Audio formats; and also provides multi-channel decoders for Dolby Pro Logic, Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1 formats as well as DVD-Audio.

The firmware includes a comprehensive bass manager, including user selectable crossover frequencies.

I don't know if there is a single DVD-Audio digital out.

StooMonster

16. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +660
    AFAIK there is no digital DVD-A output. There is still no industry standard for doing this: all current solutions (e.g. Meridian's "MHR smartlink") are proprietary.

It remains to be seen whether the DV27A or whatever it's called will be able to do bass management nicely within the player. If it can then there's no reason why the analogue output shouldn't sound rather good.