DV27 Upgrade Path

Hawklan

Distinguished Member
Hi

With the DV88 Plus coming out and the potential upgrade path from the DV88 (or so I've read on the forum somewhere) - It would be good to have Arcam confirm this

Anyway what I am really interested in is whether there will be a similar upgrade path for the DV27

Any info, rumours or pure guesswork would be really appreciated

Thanks

Ronnie

jont

The only confirmed upgrade for the dv27 is the dvd-a board that will be out later this year ...

The new board/chipset that is in the dv88+ has not been confirmed that it will go/fit/be the upgrade (if any) to the dv27 ...

But I guess John Dawson will confirm this at some point ...

John Dawson

Novice Member
Hawklan, jont,

The new DSP board that powers the DV88 Plus will also fit into the DV27 - in fact it is essential if the DV27 is to be upgraded to support DVD-A.

So in summary you will be able to upgrade your DV27. As I have said before we will publish full details when we are ready.

John Dawson (Arcam)

jont

John

Thanks for that ... I'm sure there are many dv27 owners that are heartened by those words ;-)

Hawklan

Distinguished Member
Jont, John

Thanks for your replies I can go now go to bed a happy man

Now I need to figure out how to get the DV27 out of the house when it's time to upgrade to the new board/chipset without the missus knowing and then realising this means more money

Many thanks

Ronnie:D

jont

oohh ... regular service ?? 1000-disc calibration and alignment check ... after all darling it is sophisticated bit of kit ... ;-)

J

nigel_williams

That was so smooth Jon.... you've convinced me too!

Seriously though, I hope the new board will sort out my chroma bug problem too.

jont

guess /hope that theres not much point in releasing a new dsp unless it does improve that ?

still JD does infer *two* upgrade items/charges (dsp and dvd-a) unless the *service* is done at the same time !!

... guess I'm lucky that my fiancee prefers the sound of her ella fitzgerald songbook cd's through my hifi than hers ;-)

John Dawson

Novice Member
To clarify once again - if you wish to upgrade a DV88 or DV27 to support DVD-A you will need to change the DSP board (the new processor has the horsepower to do this - the earlier one does not) and then add the extra DAC board to get the surround channels.

John Dawson (Arcam)

jont

Well it couldn't be any clearer than that ... thanks John ... I look forward to hearing (and seeing) the improvements at the Glasgow show in a couple of weeks ...

guess some folks better start being *nice* to Santa then ;-)

rgds

Jon

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom