Quantcast

DV27 as transport using DAC1 as D/A

E

eirika

Hi,

As it is i have never tried an external DAC, the reason i'm looking in that direction now is that i only have a DV27 as primary source for playing CD's and i think i can get more out of my system by introducing a different DAC, I have been wondering about getting a cd33/36 but i would be happy not to have to accomodate another disc spinner in my system. I guess my question is, will a Benchmark DAC1 be compairable to Arcam's falgship cd players, please elaborate.

My system consists of the following:

Arcam A32 (with 7.1 addon board)
Arcam P35 (Biamp)
Arcam DV27A
B&W 703
Tara Labs Axiom interconnects
Tara Labs Prism 1000 biwire speaker cables

Best regards,

Eirik, Norway

Bails

Novice Member
The best way is, of course, to test the combination. But I understand this is not always possible. For what it's worth, I use an Arcam DV79 for both movies and cd playback, with the cd playback via a modified Bel Canto DAC2. I use the Arcam's coax output to the Bel Canto and the optical output to my processor.

The Bel Canto is a huge step up from the Arcam for cd playback. It is very noticeable. The only slight 'problem' is that if I have my processor on the cd input and put a dvd (dolby or dts) disc in the player a high pitched squeal comes through the speakers - the Bel Canto obviously doesn't like the dvd signal.

A big advantage of the Bel Canto, for me at least, is that it is very small and sits behind my other components. Rack space is tight and this arrangement works well for me.

E

eirika

Thanks for your response Bails, appreciate it!

Are there anybody else who have tried out a DAC and using especially the DV27 for transport only, would be nice if someone have experience with Benchmark's DAC1 since it's the one i think i can justify pricewise.

Will it have any edge on the cd33/36?

I know that this is quite a subjective question, but still.

Best regards,

Eirik

PaulWilliam

Novice Member
Hello

I have been through your dilema recently as I have a DV29 and used it for CD playback in addition to DVD's.

I tried a CD36 and did not like it. Then I tried the Cyrus DAC-X DA converter and obtained some fantastic improvements so went down that route. I chose the Cyrus rather than other models as I was able to demo it first, its British, looks nice and appears well built. I am also able to route my satellite signal through it.

You also then have the option of adding the Cyrus CDXT CD transport at a later date. I did this as I gained even more improvements over using the DV29 as a CD transport.

scott brown

Standard Member
i own a dv27a and a benchmark dac-1

i prefer using the dac-1 for cd playback instead of using the dv27a's internal dac's. it's cleaner and seeems more detailed

(i may sell the benchmark and get a mytek stereo96 dac soon, though)

E

eirika

Hi,

I'm more confused than ever, just got hold of a DAC-1 for less than 450£. I was very eager to enjoy my new component and the difference it would make.

I must say that after a couple days a-b testing i can't do nothing than admit that the DV27a is a mighty good cd player, i really think the difference between the DAC-1 is rather minute. The DAC seems maybe a bit more musical and 'round', the DV on the other hand is as detailed, maybe to the point that it can become a little sterile and without soul.

I decided to go out today and try a different digi cable, had just been using a cheap optical interconnect, went out and got hold of the QED SR75 coax cable, -no difference in sound..

As it is now i'm wondering about selling the DAC-1, initially, as stated before i just wanted to get closer to Arcam's own flagship cd players (without buying another full blown unit) since i heard their so much better than the DV's. If the difference between theese player is so little as compared to the DV and DAC-1 i'm not sure i will opt for the CD 33/36...

I'm eager to hear more from you :)

Regards,

Eirik

S

Sweden

Eirik you should look at www.hifiborsen.se at the Lavry DA10 dac - Fantastic !

If you email him, tell him Mats recommended you this Dac on this forum.

M

musicwave

So the Benchmark Dac1 is not going to improve the CD playback of the DV27a by much? Which unit will achieve the absolute best redbook playback?

jorgandjean

Standard Member
eirika said:
Hi,

I'm more confused than ever, just got hold of a DAC-1 for less than 450£. I was very eager to enjoy my new component and the difference it would make.

I must say that after a couple days a-b testing i can't do nothing than admit that the DV27a is a mighty good cd player, i really think the difference between the DAC-1 is rather minute. The DAC seems maybe a bit more musical and 'round', the DV on the other hand is as detailed, maybe to the point that it can become a little sterile and without soul.

I decided to go out today and try a different digi cable, had just been using a cheap optical interconnect, went out and got hold of the QED SR75 coax cable, -no difference in sound..

As it is now i'm wondering about selling the DAC-1, initially, as stated before i just wanted to get closer to Arcam's own flagship cd players (without buying another full blown unit) since i heard their so much better than the DV's. If the difference between theese player is so little as compared to the DV and DAC-1 i'm not sure i will opt for the CD 33/36...

I'm eager to hear more from you :)

Regards,

Eirik

I made a similar experience. The DAC1 was better than CD playback on the DV88plus. A faster and tighter bass. The improvement was so small that I decided to sell the DAC1 and stay with the DV88plus as CD player. For DVD I use the Panasonic Harddisk Recorder with HDMI output, that gives a brighter picture on the Plasma. The DVD sound is processed through digital out into my AVP700. Logical step would be to replace the DV88plus with a dedicated CD player. However the money I would have to through in to get a substantial improvement is probably not worth it.

M

musicwave

Maybe I should have specified a price range. ;)

I canceled the Benchmark order after extensive research. From what I can tell, it's an over-achieving entry level piece that sets a new 'benchmark' in its territory. However, what you get for ~$800 is a dac, and no transport. It would make better sense to buy a CD23/33 for around the same price and reduce the wear on the DV27a (if people are concerned about that). One could argue that one would succumb to an HD-DVD player before Arcam releases their own, which would make this point a moot one.

I would love to hear some tube stuff... it's got to be a warmer sound, maybe that's what is driving the need to continually hypothesize upgrading; we're not content with the sound of the Arcam gear... ? It could be that our brains are trying to tell us that a warmer sound is where the upgrade itch stops... this is all a conjecture with no real grounding proof, however it may be worth exploring.