DV139 - HDMI Colour Space

srabu

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Trying to adjust my DV139 and my MetaVISION NCT 720 Projector to work together, I stumbled over a setting within the DV139 setup that I have no knowledge about:
"HDMI colour space" could be set to "auto", "YUV", "RGB (video)" or "RGB (PC)". I would like to not leave any settings to "auto", so which setting will deliver the best picture quality? My projector does 720p native resolution and should accept all settings.

Thank you for your advise & Best regards,
Stefan.

Setting to YUV should give the best results IIRC (I think you will get 10bit this way, whereas RGB gives 8 bit, but don't quote me on that). YUV passes 422 colour space. You'll soon know if your pj will accept this, because if it doesn't your screen will go very green. If that's the case set to RGB (video), but not PC level.

HTH,

T.

Thank you for your reply!

YUV does not work, it gives a false color palette, but RGB produces very good results.

What I do not understand is this:

I get a very (!) good picture using 1080i and letting the Faradjoud scaler inside the projector doing its work. The pictures utilising 720p (the native resolution of the projector) is good, but much less convincing. Also, I do get a tiny black border around the picture and on top of that, the very bottom line of the picture is slowly browsing through the colour palette during DVD playback.

Why would that be? Measuring using my test DVD underlines my visual impression and encourages me to use 1080i as an output resolution for the DV139. That means that I'm utilising two scalers, though, which seems wrong.

Anyway, it's still a huge improvement over the Denon 2910 using 720p, which I do not understand, but the picture you get is the final benchmark, I guess.

Any help to explain this would be much appreciated.

Thank you very much & Best regards,
Stefan.

Setting to YUV should give the best results IIRC (I think you will get 10bit this way, whereas RGB gives 8 bit, but don't quote me on that). YUV passes 422 colour space. You'll soon know if your pj will accept this, because if it doesn't your screen will go very green. If that's the case set to RGB (video), but not PC level.

HTH,

T.

After a long night of testing, I have to take back one statement in my previous post:

I set the DV139 to the projectors native resolution (720p) via HDMI, reset all parameters in the projector and adjusted everything again using my Test DVD as well as the test pictures that come with the Arcam setup. The result blows me away. Never thought my projector (Metavision NHT 720) was able to produce such pictures! Especially the sharpness is much better with the native resolution, putting down the sharpness parameter of the projector to almost zero. I had to re-adjust the ceiling mount and the screen a bit, but now it's perfect. Watched the new James Bond last night after two hours of tweaking, and it blew me and a few guests away. :thumbsup:

Stereo playback (CD) seems to get better every day as well. I think the DV139 needs some burn-in to deliver the full quality.

Amazing machine!! :clap:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom