Quantcast

DV139 Buzzing noise from CD Player

3boxesdown

Standard Member
Replaced my Arcam AV350 with Denon AVR-X2400H a couple of weeks ago. The Arcam DV139 disc player stereo audio out is connected to CD audio input on the AVR but I get an electrical buzzing noise in the speakers over the music. The first time I made the connection I could also hear faint something like another source coming through the speakers, like picking up a radio conversation.

I tried HDMI out from DV139 to CD HDMI input on the AVR but no sound at all.

Is there something stupid I could be doing with connections that might cause this buzzing?

Just FYI, I don’t use the DV139 to play DVDs, it stated to misread DVD years ago and rendered a kind of solarized glitched image on screen.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

larkone

Distinguished Member
Have you tried one of the digital outs - optical or coax - into the denon? The Denon will be a step back in sound quality compared to the AVR350.

Chester

Sounds like all of your cables (especially signal and power) are jumbled up, or there is a bad earth. Having said that you say buzz rather than 50Hz hum, so not sure. Does this disappear if you unplug the analogue interconnects? Can you describe the buzz?

3boxesdown

Standard Member
Gentleman, thanks to both of you for your time and responses, I do appreciate that.

Have you tried one of the digital outs - optical or coax - into the denon?
I am not sure where a COAX would go into the X2400H. I will try optical when I locate the optical cable tomorrow.

The Denon will be a step back in sound quality compared to the AVR350.
Ouch. It’s a budget thing, sadly the AVR3350 sits here, audio fine but it lost its video output to the TV

Sounds like all of your cables (especially signal and power) are jumbled up, or there is a bad earth. Having said that you say buzz rather than 50Hz hum, so not sure. Does this disappear if you unplug the analogue interconnects? Can you describe the buzz?
If “jumbled up” means a coiled mess behind the unit – very perceptive! If the bad earth is at one of the power sockets (3 double gang) well, in the past 3 weeks I have spent several hundred quid on two different electricians to sort out why that ring was blowing the circuit breaker, loose terminals and cable break seem to have been issues but none apparent now.

I can imagine the 50Hz buzz does describe what I am hearing, kind of like what you might get from an electrical strip light or a bulb.

It does disappear when I unplug the analogue cables.

I am baffled why I don’t get audio out when I connect the HDMI out from the DV139 to the CD HDMI input on the denon. The manual does say to select the DVD Sample Rate (96KHz or 48KHz) but also says this is only relevant to the output from DVD-Video discs.

Is there anything I have said that makes my error apparent or shall I report back after trying Optical?

Many thanks

Dave

3boxesdown

Standard Member
I meant the DV139 Manual towards the end when i talk about something called sample rates

Chester

Ah, ooh, OK. In which case there are several things to look at. It might be a good idea to invest in some velcro straps or cable ties to tidy power cables and signal cables (especially the analogue ones) away from each other. Are the units stacked or on different shelves? Equipment separation may very well help here.

I'm guessing you don't have separate circuits to your AV equipment and other parts of the house, for example and the most pertinent, the kitchen? This is where interference might be 'injected' on to the ring, so another rogue appliance might be causing problems from elsewhere. You could try powering off everything else on the same circuit to see if that makes any difference. Easy although I appreciate not very convenient.

And lastly would be a mains conditioner. When I had my Arcam AVR350 I found that I needed one, so I bought a Belkin AV 6-way trailing extension which had enough choke to reduce hum levels to inaudible against any audio signal without starving the power supply. I don't think these are available any more, but a proper IsoTek one will be much more effective.

This is also probably one of the those times where I'd say expensive power cables could also help, but probably only necessary to the DV139. Now, I will stress that these are not 'magic'. The wires are simply twisted inside to reject noise from the area where that cable resides, but if the noise is already on the circuit, it won't sort of 'spin' it out! This would be a last resort. Separating the cables and a mains conditioner should be much more effective.

More food for thought.