DV139:AVR350 sound problem (lack of)...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Bacardi, May 8, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Bacardi

Bacardi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi, I'm having trouble getting sound out of my 139/350 combination. Spent a very frustrating evening reading the manual, trying every menu combination under the sun until I'm blue in the face, but nothing seems to work.

The 139 is connected to the 350 via HDMI. I understand that no audio is transmitted via HDMI if it''s analogue but I would have thought CDs and DVDs would be fine? The tuner and test tone works fine. On the 139 I have 'Digital audio out’ set to HDMI.

On the panel of the 350 it says analogue rather than digital,which wouldn't seem to bode well for HDMI. Maybe I'm just being thick and have missed something obvious but is there a simple abc checklist?

Any thoughts or help gratefully received.

2. gpa

gpa
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    No audio over HDMI, try either analog to analog 5.1 best option for DVD-A and SACD or either opto/digi coax if not.:smashin:

3. Bacardi

Bacardi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks for the reply, much appreciated :)

You mean none at all?

Even though the manuals are full of:

'Making audio connections...

Your surround-sound receiver
    Connect either the HDMI...

'The HDMI interface
    If you have a HDMI- or DVI-equipped monitor or display, you can connect it to the DV139 using a HDMI
    cable. The HDMI connector carries uncompressed digital video, as well as digital audio.' (139 manual)

'HDMI (High Definition Multimedia Interface) supports both video and audio on a single digital connection for use with DVD players,' (350 manual)

etc. etc.

Perhaps they need to amend the manuals to make things a little clearer.

I'll try anologue 5.1, cheers

4. Kazuya Mishima

Kazuya Mishima

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    The AVR-350 will "pass through" audio via HDMI cables; for example it will allow you to send audio from a DVD player to a TV.

But it won't "extract" the audio information from the HDMI cable for processing, which is probably what you wanted it to do...

The AVR-350 acts purely as an HDMI "switch" to allow selection of different video sources.

In respect to the DV139 end of things, the manual for that is written independently of what amp you choose to use. The DV139 will transmit audio signals via HDMI. I'm quite sure that there are amps on the market which will take the audio from the DV139 via HDMI. BUt, as it happens, the AVR-350 was deliberately designed by Arcam not to process audio via HDMI. This topic has been discussed a few times around these forums, and in essence it was a quality issue, in my understanding Arcam took this decision because they felt that audio performance could be compromised by this feature (apologies if I have mis-represented anything here).

Hope I've got this right - and explained it clearly!

5. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,269
    Kazuya is spot on here, a very good explanaton indeed.

6. Bacardi

Bacardi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thank you Kazuya for the explanation. I do seem to remember reading about this issue in the past but couldn't find it again in searches. It only became a 'need to know' when I finally had the units. The manuals are misleading (to me at least), although I understand the two units could be used with other amps.

Thanks again, much appreciated :)