DV139 > AV9 Analogue is Better than SPDIF ?!?

garysevern

Established Member
Reaction score
Well I know this has been touched on before but after a couple of weeks testing between the two I'm now convinced to use Multichannel analogue for all types of disk. The sound quality via my Nordist Red Dawns is noticabley more open and detailed than via my Nordost Silver Shadow SPDIF.

Anyone else agree?

Have not had the time to test for movies, yet.
But for CD output, the result I'm getting with my Straightwire Solo cable DV139 to AVR350 is much better than with the Straightwire SPDIF Megalink cable :thumbsup:

I prefer the Multi-ch analogue for Movies (DTS-5.1/AVR350-FMJ139) than the digital connection...Ixos cables I think???
But I've found the analogue CD stereo is a tad laid-back for me.

Hi all,
I have to mention the obvious here, that if using multichannel cables then the source will be doing the decoding, but if using the Digital cables then the Processor will be doing the decoding. :lesson:

Just seems like there's being a comparison against analogue and digital cables here which the cable would have the least of the effect compared to different DAC quality on source and processor...

Am I missing something obvious like the DV139 and AV9 having same DACs?:confused:

Dan.

Of course the downside of spdif is it having to go through an spdif terminal, along a wire, and then into the processor. So the digital signal is going on a bit of a journey. If it's decoded in the player, most of it's cut out.

I actually find my Primare processor does a much better job decoding movies than the DV139.

Dankeech, the appreciable difference here is caused by being able to use direct mode on the AV9 multi-channel input, which on this pre-amp is a hellofa difference.

On your 250 you probably won't hear much of a difference between the two connection methods (I didn't notice much difference either between a dv79 and avr300).

Plus bass management on the 139 allows you to use the sub for 2 channel content.

I had thought about giving this a try with my kit but I use my multi channel in for my pc.

More multichannel inputs would be a godsend, If I was to buy an HD player and also connect my pc and dvd player through analogue I would need three sets of inputs.

Cant see them ever adding such features as it would cost a fortune and you would be running low on space at the back of the case, maybe once hdmi audio has been properly tried and tested this will be a thing of the past.

Canti1982 - If you need more multi-channel inputs, then using a Zektor HDS4.1 component switcher would be the current recommended route...

DACs on my DV89+ beat the AVR250, noticeably.

Was wondering if the obvious hadn't been covered in-thread....:)

Dan.

Canti1982 - If you need more multi-channel inputs, then using a Zektor HDS4.1 component switcher would be the current recommended route...

Have you tried one of these? I just wondered what the qualty was like on them. I would be really upset if I found it degraded the signal.

Have you tried one of these? I just wondered what the qualty was like on them. I would be really upset if I found it degraded the signal.

No I haven't Timbo. I do have one that is connected up with 4 component devices and it's a great switcher for this purpose; can't say I've noticed visual issues.
I only have one device with an analogue multichannel out - the 139. If I had another device to slot in I'd give the zektor a go but, if there was a difference, it wouldn't be acceptable to me either!
Must say too that it does feel kind of wrong to me putting a switcher between two such good devices....

I am interested in getting the Zektor you have mentioned. I just bought the Toshiba HD-XA2 (will have it tomorrow) and I will probably get a Blu-Ray player once they come down in price. I also listen to SACD and DVD-Audio. My B&K Receiver only has one 5.1 Audio input. I went to their site and looked at the pictures of the back....now this may seem like a dumb question but how with 5.1 analogue do you hook up the cables when they are not labeled as such. They are labeled for component video.

Is it just such a straight pass through that as long as you hook up all the inputs the same and the output corresponding with that it will work?

FOUND MY OWN ANSWER, DOWNLOADED THE MANUAL....ALL INPUTS ARE THE SAME BANDWIDTH AND INTERCHANGEABLE.....

Do you have one and how does it work...

Thanks....

the zektor is a very hq piece and if you search around you can find coupons that sell it online from the manufacturer at $300. It works with most universal remotes (check the manual on their site) and you just switch the input via remote, and the zektor automatically switcher inputs for multich sources. Its also a very cost efficient way to add hdmi switching if you have a hq receiver.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom