dv137 upscaling vs denon 2930

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by avlava, Jan 5, 2007.

Tags:
  1. avlava

avlava

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    ok, i got the equipment in my signature and am mostly trying to see the benefits of the dv137 which was over £1000. I have a sony kdl40v2000 lcd which is fairly decent yet i havent seen this fantastic pic quality people rave about from the dv137.

Last night i set the tv up to the player again, using the video settings screen, and watched the matrix. (Scene where they do the shooting in the gallery with all the pillers). Well i could tell no difference watching it over and over with the dvd outputting 576p, 720p or 1080i and i just dont know why that is.

Obviously my panel upscales from 720p to 1366*768 or downscales from 1080i to 1366*768 and im wondering if that is the reason im not seeing any pic difference in quality. I thought the dv137 was using one of the best upscaling chipsets and therefore i expected to see some noticable difference.

Next test is to compare against my old toshiba sd100e.

Anyone any thoughts at all?

2. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,365
    To me spending a £1000 on an upscaling DVD player is bonkers. You could get a Blu-ray player for that or even HD-DVD player for less than half that and actualy play HD DVD's. No doubt the Arcam is excellent quality kit BUT!

3. avlava

avlava

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Indeed yes, but when i bought this unit there wasnt the xbox hd-dvd player ( which i now have ) and i still watch tons and have tons of sd dvd's. Also the music quality for this player is fantastic so with all that in mind it justified me spending the money.

When i get back and the picture is not much different im thinking there must be something im missing.

4. LOXjet

LOXjet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    If your screen (like mine) is 768 native lines, then the picture will go through two scaling processes instead of one (if you send it 720p or 1080i/p) and this is likely to soften the image.

Will yours accept 768p, as that will cut out one of the scaling processes (unfortunately most don't)?

I went through the same thing with my 137 (and now 139) and settled on using SD Progressive for now, until I get a 1080p display :)

Compared to the other players I have owned... the 137 & 139 produce a much cleaner\sharper picture with more vibrant colours.

As you say, the audio capabilities are top notch and worth the cost to get all that rolled into one player :)

If you haven't tried DVD-Audio I can highly recommend it, they sound stunning on these players :)

I'm a complete convert to DVD-A, just a shame it's niche market.

5. avlava

avlava

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Ok cool No i havent tried dvd-a yet i was going to start getting sacd. What do you think between the 2? I need to get the 6 rca cables first and am struggling on what to buy to get good quality without spending £100's.

So you notice the dv137 as a great picture even through 2 scaling process or are you saying that becuase there is 2 scaling processes it is softening the image and therefore im not seeing the benefits of what the dv137 is doing?

I was contemplating selling it see and getting a £400 player or something, but i dont want to as love its looks etc.

I am in process of explaining to the wife that even though i have recently bought my panel it is justified to sell that and get the 1080p version, which wasnt out when i got mine, and that no more upgrades will be necessary for a while. Tough task ! :)

6. gpa

gpa
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    Wel i went from a Denon 2900 dvd player, regarded as pretty good, the difference between that and my current 137 is night and day, worth every penny. I am about to swap it out for a 139 though which i am told is another step up.

7. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +325
    Too much emphasis is being put on upscaling. Yes, if you have the best, and your display can pass it native, then it will give you noticeably sharper, detailed images. However, Arcam players deliver great images by just using 576p.

When I had a Denon 3910, upscaled 720p was no better than 576p to my H79 projector. Therefore, I had no problem in getting the DV29, which doesn't perform any scaling.

T.

ps. Why is this thread titled DV137 vs. 2930? There's no mention of the 2930?

8. LOXjet

LOXjet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    Personally I feel DVD-Audio wins hands down pretty much every time.

As discs, they are far more flexible than SACD, better value for money (most come with extras... videos, multiple mixes, photos or lyrics etc) and IMO always sound better.

Unlike SACD, DVD-Audio discs come with an audio & video layer. The lossless tracks are on the audio layer, with the video layer usually holding either (or both) DTS and Dolby Digital mixes. The audio layer outputs from the analogue multi-channel outputs and the video layer to either the digital coax or optical ones.

If your player is connected digitally to your amp, this means you can buy the discs now and start enjoying them without buying the extra analogue interconnects :thumbsup:

The lossless tracks do sound better (but it's not massively noticeable) but the DTS & Dolby Digital ones are still a big step up from CD :)

As far as I am aware, multi-channel SACD (not stereo) only outputs to the multi-channel analogue outputs, so you will need the interconnects to listen to multi-channel SACD.

Personal taste permitting, some good discs are :-

Dire Straights - Money For Nothing
    Porcupine Tree - In Absentia
    Porcupine Tree - Deadwing

My personal favourites are :-

Seal - Best (1991 - 2004)
    Police - Every Breath You Take
    Diana Krall - Love Scenes
    David Juritz & the London Mozart Players - Vivaldi (The Four Seasons)

I also just bought :-

Frank Sinatra - Live at the Sands

This may be a 50 year old recording, but trust me it sounds AMAZINGINGLY clear. The recording has the ambient noises of the club (laughing, chinking plates\glasses etc) in the rears and usually the vocals and instruments are on opposing sides. Put that together and it can produce this very eerie feeling (if you shut your eyes) of almost being there :)

Yes, I asked about this a while back and that is how it was explained to me.

I sympathise, it's never easy trying to justify half of the stuff we buy :)

9. LOXjet

LOXjet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    :thumbsup:

IMO, more in audio than video though. The picture was definitely sharper but the sound was the real difference, even from the 137 :)

10. avlava

avlava

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    My fault....i forgot to mention that bit as feared my rambling was too long.

My friend recently upgraded from an old sony player ( about £300 a while ago ) to a denon 2930 and noticed a huge improvement in picture over even using rgb scart for both. This was on a full 1080p panel though but i dont believe he was upscaling with the player and was just letting the panel do the job. Im not sure on the panel though so will post when get the info from him.

So i was going to wonder if anyone had compared the dv137 against such a player as the 2930 as i could perhaps sell the 137 have enough money for the 2930 and some left over. Realistically it should be compared to the 3930.

11. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +325

Why don't you get together & do some tests at your place & then his, then let us know your findings. I don't think the 2930 will come near the DV137 for audio performance

12. avlava

avlava

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yeah good call. think thats going to be the plan.

Im gonna get myself a 1080p panel also. The son w2000. Gits brought it out like 2 months after i got my v2000. Someones going to buy that off me for £950 though and its a cracking tv. Im hoping my 137 will look even better on that.

Ill post once tested the 2930 etc

13. N1ght1ngale

N1ght1ngale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I currently have the Denon 3910 and I am thinking of upgrading to the DV137 to pair with my AVR350. Does anyone have any experience of the 3910 and know whether the upgrade is a significant enough for justify the upgrade costs? I have a Pioneer PDP435XDE.

I have a demo booked for a couple of weeks, but would appreciate any views.