DV137 upscaling issues.

zamwessell

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I just bought a DV137 and a Sony 46X2000.

I am using a Chord Silver Pro HDMI cable.

I have to say that for me the best picture is by SD interlaced,not any of the upscaled settings.I am puzzled as to why.

The higher setting have a strange effect on the image especially actors faces,you find yourself squinting because it looks slightly out of focus.It also looks duller in general.If i set it to SD interlaced then it is a far more detailed,sharper,brighter picture (as good as my old Sony CRT in those respects)which doesn't make sense to me

The 46X2000 performs superbly with SKYHD at 1080i so it does not seem to be the tv at fault and i am using the same Chord Silver Pro to feed that.

I am curious to see other 1080p scalers on this panel to compare.

Seems silly to have to have it set at the lowest resolution to get the best picture.Maybe the scaler is faulty.

Any thoughts anyone?

Sevenoaks seem to think it may be related to the cable and are going to get back to me regarding the matter

Or maybe the scaler is the Sony is better than the one in the arcam? (the arcam has to scale to 4 or 5 different outputs the Sony only one. are you feeding DVD scaled to 1080i out of the Arcam? and compared to 576i you think 576i looks better (or isit 576p?)

hornydragon said:
Or maybe the scaler is the Sony is better than the one in the arcam? (the arcam has to scale to 4 or 5 different outputs the Sony only one. are you feeding DVD scaled to 1080i out of the Arcam? and compared to 576i you think 576i looks better (or isit 576p?)

I have tried 480i,480p,576i,576p,720p,1080i and 1080p with the Arcam and i have to say 480i and 576i look better.

The image is brighter and you can still see detail on skin tones.If i run it in the other settings the skin tones are a blurred effect.

Not exactly sure how i disable the Sony scaler if that is possible.The DRC settings are only allowed when viewing SD interlaced (480i and 576i).

I have not tried component yet and i have not tried a different HDMI cable.

FWIW, I have an 'ancient' Sony plasma. I get best results by turning-off all of the digital processing guff. With the right source (decent DVD + Arcam DV29) I get a stonking picture.

I reckon, but of course could be wrong, that the Sony's digital processing could be the culprit here. I'm interested in how you get on, because I'm in early negitioations with she-who-must-be-obeyed about getting the same Sony panel as you have. At a personal level, I certainly wouldn't want to buy the Sony panel if it's a stinker (a la Terry Thomas).

I would take a good look (no pun intended) at the Sony's settings. Of course, it could well be that as an early adaptor the panel's software isn't quite right yet. Sigh.

Clem

Sorry if people think this is in the wrong place but i own the dv-137 and need to get it changed becuase it doesnt work. I have been thinking though to just get a refund and a cheaper model if my understanding of things is wrong.

Now when people say upscale i myself ( probably wrongly ) assumed that the DVD player as it was quite dear and meant to be good quality actually inserted extra pixels into the picture made up from the surrounding pixels from source. A bit like digital cameras interpolating to 6megapixel from a 3 megapixel ccd.

Now if that is true then cool becuase the dv137 is an expensive player and has good chips in and i assume it will be very good at doing this. The quality of source read through the tranport will be excellent also.

I also assumed that when i have a sony 40v2000 panel which is *768 that hte picture being showed to me if it fills the screen doesnt actually put more pixels in it just uses the same source pixel over multiple pixels on the panel. Is this complete rubbish im talking?

If ( although i doubt ) the above 2 things are correct then ill stick with my 137 as it will be upscaling a 576 image to 720 or 1080 and putting more stuff in and making it crisper etc. If the above are not true then we are just talking about if the panel or dv13 have better chips for doing the upscaling.

Anyone help me understand?

Cheers
Dave

I collected my 3rd DV137 yesterday and the scaler seems to have improved significantly.

It must have been a fault with the earlier batches.

PAL discs really do look something else in 1080p....very impressed.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom