1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DV vs. DVD or Panasonic GS-70 vs Hitatchi MV-350

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Håkan Linnarsso, Jul 22, 2003.

1. Håkan Linnarsso

Håkan Linnarsso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:

I plan to buy a camcorder within a few week and need some advice concering the choice of camcorder.
    I planned to buy a Panasonic GS-70 which seems to have a high video quality and a nice size. However, I recognize that DVD may be the next technology to use in camcorders and therefor have Hitachi MV-350 become a runners-up. I have some questions that I would appreciate if anybody could have an answer to.
    1. What are the differences in video quality between these two camcorders concering the resolution, colors etc? Have any compared the two?
    2. Using a DVD format accepted by a standard DVD-player connected to the TV, what quality level is possible to achieve in the MV-350?
    3. Is there any quality decrease when editing the DVD ? I do not have any fire-wire but USB 2.0 and I wonder if it is possible to use this with full quality.

2. MarkE19

Aug 10, 2002
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Rainham Essex
    I will try to answer as best I can. All my replies are based on reveiws and not any knowledge from use of a DVD camcorder.

The quality of a DVD cam on its highest quality setting is around the same as a DV cam. All other issues relating to quality are down to the cam itself. The Hitachi cams reviewed did get good comments for their quality.
    These cams do not use normal, full size DVD-R's but smaller 8cm disks. The advantage is obviously smaller cams, but the down side is that at full quality you only get a maximum of 20minutes recording per disk.
    If your PC has a DVD-ROM drive then these disks can be played in there. Copy the footage off the disk onto your PC and you can edit keeping everything digital at all times with (very) little loss of quality, and no need for firewire/USB connections.