Dv to dvd

Rich001

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have a dv camcorder which uses small cassette tapes my problem is transferring them to DVD as when I used windows movie maker the avi file was 16gb in size to big to put on a 4.7gb disc I don't mind losing some video quality but can anybody shed any light on the matter :)

Did you let Window Movie Maker make a DVD, or did you stop when you saw the file sizes?
I use VideoStudio, and just let it get on with the job - it takes quite some time, and I suspect some compression is taking place. For me, the quality seems acceptable.

I stopped when I saw the size of the file I still have the 16gb avi file on my HD but not sure what to do with it

I've just fired up Windows Movie Maker, and after importing a video clip, found that my version (2007) doesn't offer DVD making. Perhaps that's why I've always used VideoStudio! I believe there are free DVD making apps on the web, but I've no experience of them.

Ok thank-you for replying I will have a look at visualstudio and see how that goes if its not to expensive :)

Sorry videostudio and thanks again for the help appreciate it.

DVD's use mpeg2 compression. DV compressed content is about 4GB for 20 mins. Mpeg2 will fit in a couple of hours into 4GB.

Easiest way to create DVD's from DV files. (not free though)

VideoReDo MPEG Video Editing Software

What version of Windows are you using? If Vista or Win7 then it comes with a DVD making program called Windows DVD Maker. This will compress the files down and make them compatible with a DVD player. It will also allow you to create chapters and a menu for the DVD.

The reason for the very large DV .AVI files is that they have very little compression (5:1 done in the camcorder) which means that any editig does not affect the quality of the video. Once compressed to MPEG-2 or any other format such as .WMV, DivX etc any further editing can reduce the quality. So do all the editing on the large file and then get the editng program to output the file as anopther (large) AVI or WMV (the only options for Movie Maker IIRC) and then use the above mentioned program to create the DVD.

Mark.

Hey all thanks for all the help I managed to sort it with Nero there is a little quality loss but at least it's putting them huge files on to a 4.7gb disc thanks again for the responses :)

Yeah works a treat :) burnt 2 disks now 18gb and 16gb onto a 4.7gb DVD :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom