DV to DVD transfer

paulrog

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys, I have a SonyDCR-HC39E. I have compile loads of tapes and now want to transfer the tapes to my PC (for editing and DVD transfer).
My PC has vista so I have downloaded the latest Sony software, but I now find I need an i.Link cable. I have looked at these on various web pages and can see the connector suits the camcorder but not the PC. Do you have to buy a new input card for your PC or am I missing the point?

Firewire/I.link uses 2 different types of connectors; 4 pin and 6 pin.
On the camcorder end it is 4 pin.
On the PC end, it tends to be 4 pin on laptops, and 6 pin on desktops.
If the connector on your desktop isn't the same as on the camcorder (i.e. it is larger, sort of looks like a fat USB port), then you need a 4 pin to 6 pin cable.

Like this
http://www.dabs.com/ProductView.aspx?Quicklinx=41LB

Thanks Mark. I have looked a little further and I do need a card for the "firewire"
Thank you

Ok, you can get those pretty cheaply, usually with a cable included (for a desktop).

Or still fairly cheap for a laptop if it has a cardbus slot.

I have bought and installed a firewire card that has the 4-6 pin firewire cable, but my software (sonys own and vista moviemaker) can not see the camera. The card I bought was Dynamode USB-5PCI3PFW (4xUSB 2xFirewire 1394). Any idea guys?

Dodgy Cable... usual culprit:rolleyes:

Also since it has USB connecting up a USB device may help to perhaps rule out the card as the culprit
You could also try connecting up the camcorder to another PC with built in firewire as a trouble shooting method
Normally the Camcorder would be on play ( or VCR) and where selectable in menu DV out enabled

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom