• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

DV to DVD transfer

paulrog

Standard Member
Hi Guys, I have a SonyDCR-HC39E. I have compile loads of tapes and now want to transfer the tapes to my PC (for editing and DVD transfer).
My PC has vista so I have downloaded the latest Sony software, but I now find I need an i.Link cable. I have looked at these on various web pages and can see the connector suits the camcorder but not the PC. Do you have to buy a new input card for your PC or am I missing the point?

redsox_mark

Distinguished Member
Firewire/I.link uses 2 different types of connectors; 4 pin and 6 pin.
On the camcorder end it is 4 pin.
On the PC end, it tends to be 4 pin on laptops, and 6 pin on desktops.
If the connector on your desktop isn't the same as on the camcorder (i.e. it is larger, sort of looks like a fat USB port), then you need a 4 pin to 6 pin cable.

Like this
http://www.dabs.com/ProductView.aspx?Quicklinx=41LB

redsox_mark

Distinguished Member
Ok, you can get those pretty cheaply, usually with a cable included (for a desktop).

Or still fairly cheap for a laptop if it has a cardbus slot.

paulrog

Standard Member
I have bought and installed a firewire card that has the 4-6 pin firewire cable, but my software (sonys own and vista moviemaker) can not see the camera. The card I bought was Dynamode USB-5PCI3PFW (4xUSB 2xFirewire 1394). Any idea guys?

senu

Distinguished Member
Dodgy Cable... usual culprit:rolleyes:

Also since it has USB connecting up a USB device may help to perhaps rule out the card as the culprit
You could also try connecting up the camcorder to another PC with built in firewire as a trouble shooting method
Normally the Camcorder would be on play ( or VCR) and where selectable in menu DV out enabled

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom