1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DV to DVD advice for someone who has little knowledge

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by mOdO, Apr 21, 2004.

1. mOdO

mOdO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :lease: A little advice would much appreciated. Although I'm sure this has probably been asked before, is their any generational loss in quality when transfering from DV to DVD, after it has gone through the video editing process. The Sony PC330 is recent acquisition and I shall be acquiring a LG GSA-4082B DVD Burner, as well as an external Hard Drive. Video editing software undecided! Before I go ahead and buy anything, any info??????

2. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    It is going to depend on what MPEG encoder you use, they are not all equal. With the right tools you can produce a DVD with quality to match your original footage.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    When captureing DV footage right through to creating the final DVD you will not loose any quality due to 'generations' as everything is and stays in the digital domain and therefore everything stays as first generation. However when you compress the footage from AVI to MPEG-2 there will be some drop in quality as you are takeing a file format that takes 13Gb per hour and compressing it to around 4.3Gb per hour (or less). There is no way round this as DVD player will only play a compressed MPEG-2 (or some will play MPEG-4 ie DivX). But you can reduce the quality loss by careful selection of the software used. This is obviously often decided by the price you are willing to pay. To be honest though, unless you buy very bad software you are unlikely to be dissapointed with the final results. The best way to decide if what you are going to buy will be good enough for you is to download a free trial version from the companies web site.
    Pinnacle Studio 9 is an all-in-one package that goes from capture to creating the final DVD (or VCD). You can also use the free MS Movie Maker 2 software that comes with Windows XP (need to do a free upgrade to version 2 from their web site) that will do very good, but basic editing and capture and then use something like Ulead DVD Movie Factory 3 to author and create the DVD/VCD. As I say you can try before you buy by donloading the trial versions from their web sites.

HTH,
    Mark.

4. mOdO

mOdO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many Thanks for the replies. I will probably go for Studio 9, but I read quite a good review of the Magix Movie Edit Pro, which I'm kind of tempted by the price and the host of features. Any Thoughts?

When compressing from AVI to MPEG2, is it a discernible loss in quality, making the assumption that the software is up to speed. I just don't want to be dissapointed, as was the case with my first attempts with VCD. Excuse my ignorance, what do you mean by MPEG encoder?

Also, any advice on DVD burners would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    I had never heard of Magix Movie Edit Pro until I saw an advert for it in theis months copy of Computer Video mag. I have not seen any reviews for it so can not say how good the results will be, but at £50 for a complete package for editing and creating DVD's it does look to be good VFM (as long as the results are good that is). Go to www.magix.com and try the free download to see if you like it.

An MPEG encoder is the software that compresses the AVI file into an MPEG-2 etc file.
    Will you notice the difference between AVI & MPEG-2? Well the difference is far less obvious than for a VCD (MPEG-1) and the software you choose really will make a difference. As I have already recommended, donload the trial versions and see for yourself. Some people notice even the slightest loss of quality, where others must be blind!

I only bought a DVD burner recently and spent many months doing my resurch. I eneded up getting a Pioneer A06. This has now been replaced with the faster A07/107. This drive has many fans on this and other forums and so far I have had no problems with mine. The 106/A06 was voted the 'Best DVD Burner of 2003' by Computer video mag at the end of last year.
    If buying all your own software then you may as well go for the cheaper OEM version as there is no point paying for software you wont be useing.

Mark.

6. mOdO

mOdO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many Thanks for your reply, most helpful!!!

7. ancientgeek

ancientgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0