1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DV to Analogue VHS - I do have a reason!

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Begadoc, Oct 13, 2002.

1. Begadoc

Begadoc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Converting digital video to analogue VHS seems daft I know, but I do have a reason. A friend and I have film footage of our village as it was 25 - 30 years ago.We showed it at a History Group meeting and now many villagers have asked for a copy. Great opportunity to raise some funds for the History Group.
    But how do I do this? I can get the film converted by a commercial service to Digital format, load it onto my PC, edit it using Pinnacle 7, but then what? How do I get it recorded onto a standard analogue VHS tape as played in most people's home.
    The camera (Canon MV5001) has a video output, but that is digital. Its analogue/digital ability seems to be one way - A to V.

I am new to video so this is either a stupid question or a complex one! Can anyone suggest a way of doing this?

2. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Why not simply connect your camcorder to your VHS and copy your tape ?
    If you need precision edits O.K. , but for the expense will anyone be that bothered, probably folks are happy just to see the village .:)

3. Begadoc

Begadoc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks - does seem the obvious. But I thought that a VHS recorder recorded an analogue signal and my camcorder is outputting a digital signal through the stereo video cables.
    Maybe I am being confused by too old a knowledge (and too old a brain!).

4. kevenh

kevenh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's unusual not to be able to get analogue video, and audio out of a camcorder.
    Could you tell us the make and model of the camera?
    Maybe someone here knows how to reconfigure the signal type on your output or maybe where the analogue connection is hidden.

5. Begadoc

Begadoc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The camcorder is a Canon DV500i.

Since my previous post, I tried outputting via the suppied Stereo Video Cable to my VHS recorder throught the supplied SCART converter (red/white/yellow audo type sockets through to a partially pinned SCART). This did not work which did not surprise me as my VCR does not have a switch to set it to LINE. Outputting to my TV through its external audio/video terminals (AV3) works fine.

The odd thing is that I have Tivo recorder and it can succesfully output video, which I assume is digital being on Tivo's hard disk, to the VCR and that signal must be going in via the SCART socket.

I think my VCR is also too old (though not as old as my brain).

Ian

6. kevenh

kevenh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The lead that Canon supply, and you've used with the TV is for analogue audio and video.

The cameras digital video and audio is on the DV terminal (may be labelled DV I/O, firewire, OHCI or 1394 connector!!!).

You must be close to being able to record on your vcr if you can get the same cables to get picture and sound on the TV.

7. Begadoc

Begadoc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well thanks to your help, I now know that I am on the right lines but the final step is frustrating me.

The following is typing out loud!
    I have an analogue video/audio out signal and cable which works as I get a picture and sound on the TV.
    The VCR must be capable of recording incoming video and audio signals on the SCART pins, as the Tivo recorder can output a program on its hard disk and it is recorded on the VCR. Given the age of the VCR, it can't be recording a digital signal from the Tivo, so this incoming signal must be analogue.

If this logic is correct, connecting the Canon lead via the SCART adapter to the VCR should have worked. The only difference is that the SCART adapter only has 7 pins whereas the one from the Tivo has a full set (presumably fully wired).
    Looking at the pins from the business end, with the long edge at the bottom (bent edge on the left), it has the last two on the right on the top row, and the first two and last three on the bottom row. Sorry don't know numbering convention.

Does my problem lie with the SCART converter Canon have supplied?

Ian

8. kevenh

kevenh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SCART Pin Info

Hmm! I expect tivo is PAL to your VCR, and the Canon will also be PAL. So everything should work - even with the SCART adapter supplied with pins missing.

Oh! You haven't got a vcr that can record an RGB input? If so you'd need to change the input type to PAL on the vcr menu.

Clutching at straws really... HELP!!!

9. JefUK

JefUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    From what I have gleaned there are 3 possibilities:

1. The 3 phono plugs are incorrectly plugged into the 3 phono sockets on the Phono-to-scart adaptor - unlikely as it is simply following the colours

2. The phono-to-scart adaptor is faulty - unlikely

3. The VCR is not switched to receive a line input.

10. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Your VCR has a SCART input, why do you say you cannot select it ? Is it perhaps marked AV, L1 or similar...
    The yellow phono plug is VIDEO the red and white are AUDIO, is there a switch on your Phono-to-Scart Adaptor, one way for out, other way for in ?
    Obviously you are aware you can connect into your Tivo, and through to your VCR too.
    You have tried the CAMERA straight into TV ... it works, now connect CAMERA into VCR SCART and select your VCR channel on your TV, it should come through...

11. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Perhaps I should mention that don't be confused by your Canon being digital, your VCR will record the analogue signal it outputs.

12. Begadoc

Begadoc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And in point 3, I think lies my problem. My VCR does not have a Line switch. Yet somehow it manages to record from the Tivo disk.

Surely what I am trying to do is take a digital file, send it out as analogue and record on the VCR. I assume that is what Tivo is doing through the SCART cable connection. It can't be sending the signal through any other route because the only others are a power conection and an RF in and out. Why can't I feed a signal in to the same socket from my camcorder?

Which brings me back to point 2 - a faulty SCART converter. I think I'll test that by feeding the camcorder into the TV via a SCART instead of the audio/visual inputs and see what happens.

Ian

13. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    If you disconnect your Tivo from your VCR SCART, connect the Camera, it will copy from your Canon in the same way, no reason why it should not.

14. Begadoc

Begadoc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you Gentlemen (and/or Ladies?)
    Problem has been solved, and whilst it was a basic stupidity on my part, your suggestions helped me to realise it.

I was looking for a way to physically switch the VCR to Line. What I had forgotten, not having used it very much since I got the Tivo box, that I needed to switch the VCR channel to one called A1 before I could record.

It took a long time for the penny to drop, but finally it did and I was able to record from the camcorder to a VHS tape. I did say very early on in this thread that I not only had an old VCR, I had an old brain!

The villagers of St Bees (www.stbees.org.uk - I'm the webmaster) who want copies of the old films will be grateful, as will the History Group which will get some funds for its work.

Now all I have to do is find a cheap way of converting Super 8 film to video when my projector and my camera have a 1 frame per second difference that creates a strobe effect. My 45 year old standard 8 projector allowed the fps to be varied enough to synchronise shutters. The 25 year old Super 8 projector has two speeds - aaah, progress! However, that is another thread.

Thank you again.

Ian

15. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Please you are sorted. :)