DV Tapes & Noise

Norbert666

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a brand new Panasonic NV-GS120

I am using JVC mini DV tapes (M-DV60ME) that my girlfriend bought me.

I'm just getting to grips with it all and I am finding that the tape is quite noisy. The camera's microphone is picking up the sound of the tape clicking/grinding/whirring continuously.

What is the problem here? Camera, tape or something else?

Thanks and regards

James

Can you actually hear the tape while you are recording? If there is excess noise there could be a fault. If not, check out the Troble Shoot section of the manual. See if there is a way to lower the audio recording volume.

You could also try to fast foreward the tape to the end and then rewind it back. Sometimes tapes needs to be at a certain taughtness but usually not with brand new tapes unless they have been store in extreme temperatures.

I think the built-in microphone for most camcorders can capture a wide area so the general advise is to buy an external mic which give you a much better directional recording. But these aren't cheap so before splashing out do try it at the dealers to make sure it cures the problem.

Last resort is to take it back to the dealer and swap for another but try it first before you take it home. If you are still unhappy, swap to a different model.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom