DV still image quality

H

humuhumu

Hi there - have up to £550 / 600 to spend on a DV camera. Very important: good digital still quality - ie, 1024x768 at least. We did have a JVC (now stolen) that did 640x480 and this wasn't cutting the mustard.

As far as I can tell, this requirement seems to limit us to a JVC again. All the specs I can see about (say), the Panasonic GS5 and the various Canon MV cameras say that they only do 640x480 (even the MV5 and expensive things like that). Is that right? Or can anyone out there with one of those cameras say that they do better?

All help much appreciated!

David

Hi
I have the canon MV5i - which takes stills up to and including 1024x768. It cost me £750 from pixmania.co.uk with next day delivery. Superb camcorder - just used it extensively on a Florida trip.

Just been to Jessops to take a look - I love the look of the Panasonic GS5. The assistant said that it took high quality megapixel stills - but I don't think she's right, is she? If she is, it's the camera for me...

Can anyone with a GS5 let me know if it will do more than 640x480 for stills?

Cheers!

The Panasonic GS5 has an 800K Pixel CCD. So it's not a megapixel camcorder.

PANASONIC NV-GX7B Camcorder Dv 10xzoom Sd-Card 2.5"Lcd £685.78

or

JVC GRDVL767 Camcorder Dv 500xdz Megapixel-Ccd 2.5"Ld £656.33

These were from empiredirect.co.uk

Found the JVC on www.rgbdirect.co.uk

JVC
GRDVL767EK High Band Digital Video Camera £543.89

HG Digital Stills ( SXGA / XGA / VGA )

I don't know what this company is like though. I have used empire direct and had no problems.

None of the Panasonic range of DV cam's take great still shots except for the NV-EX21, and then it's only good, not fantastic. Even the MX300, MX350's (supposedly 1.8MP) don't provide brilliant still images.

I'd always recommend a Digi Still Camera for stills, and a DV cam for video. Dedicated to a single task is always going to be beat jack-of-all-trades.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom