1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DV recording

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by speedy_gonzales, Feb 18, 2003.

1. speedy_gonzales

speedy_gonzales
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I plan to buy a DV camcorder in the coming months and was wanting to make sure I understand the the basics of recording my 'home movies' to DVD.
    I plan to buy a camcorder with DV in/out and plan to upload my recordings to my PC. After editing I plan to record my new works back on to the camcorder and then record the finished product directly on to a recordable DVD. I plan to buy a standalone recordable DVD as I will use it more than a DVD burner inside my PC.
    Will the above work or am I missing something, any suggestions?

Thanx in advance

2. Duncan Craig

Duncan Craig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, seems fair enough.

Getting a stand alone DVD recorder is O.K. too.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Only problem with copying back to your camcorder is that you are putting a lot more wear and tear on the heads. £200 ish for a DVD burner or buying a new camcorder (probably cheaper than replacing the heads) sooner than would normally!
    The other advantage of a burner is that as you get more advanced and want more control over your DVD's you can upgrade the software etc a bit at a time.

If the above does not bother you then a standalone burner is a great way to go as you also get a great replacement for your VCR.

Mark.

4. Duncan Craig

Duncan Craig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't forget though...

You can simply layback directly to DVD, by using the camera as a transcoder (dv to analogue).
    So you wouldn't have any headwear.

5. alex f

alex f
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use an E30 stand alone burner but you need to check on the connection type as it does not have dv in, I have to use s-video instead which is clear but I have been told that it would be even clearer using dv.

You can't edit anything on the burner as you would be able to on a pc with the software. Bear in mind that I have had a quote of over £500 to turn my pc into something with firewire and editing software, more memory, faster drive......the list goes on and advice on what to do without being ripped off seems to be hard to find.

So, I just use svideo to my E30 burner. I got an MX500 and beginning to think I have wasted my money as I only use svideo. Even the mx500 instructions are crap for anyone new to this, how the hell do you find out whats what and how to use it?

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    £500 to upgrade to DV :eek:

80Gb disk under £100
    DV card & software from £30 - £150 or more
    256Mb RAM around £30-40

Take middle of estimated costs equals around £220 if installed yourself or plus installation (should be no more than £50).

OK if you add a DVD burner that will be £200 - £250 wich does then put you up to around your £500 quote.

For more help with PC editing try the forum at www.computervideo.net or even buy the magazine.

Mark.

7. m@rk

m@rk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +360
    If I understand correctly, you will get the following

Cam to PC = digital
    PC to Cam = digital
    Cam to DVD burner (assuming you are using the AV leads) = analogue

whereas

with a DVD burer in the PC

Cam to PC = digital
    PC to DVD = digital

So in theory, you should end up with better quality (although I don't know if you will actually see any difference with the naked eye).

8. Duncan Craig

Duncan Craig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your totally right.

You more than likely won't be able to spot the difference between a Digitally recorded DVD and an S-video recorded one for instance. Simple composite can be a little iffy though.

Also your external DVD recorder will record in realtime of course, the DVD burner will need the footage converted to MPEG2, which can be really bloody slow, if you want good quality images.

Its not a flexible with a DVD recorder, cos you may not be able to add menus and tracks?
    (I have no idea how they all compare)

9. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are a couple (certainly the Pioneer model) of DVD Recorders that have firewire inputs. If you just want to dump straight to disc then these are the units to look at.