1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DV Quality on PC's - Help!

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by tomlee, Mar 4, 2003.

1. tomlee

tomlee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!

I'm new to digital camcorders but want to produce short movies to send to friends over the web, so they need to be in MPEG or AVI format. I had a quick play with a friends Sony which produced a 2 minute film of 40meg, but I was very dissapointed with the quality of the picture!

I have seen similar length\size movies on the web at higher res and looking perfect. Am I doing something wrong or is everyone else using magic powers of which I am completely unaware?

Thanks for any help!

Tom

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    DV footage is great quality, but it is optimised for viewing on a TV.
    AVI etc is lower quality/res but optimised for viewing on a PC monitor. This is probably why the footage didn't look very good.

Mark.

3. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't know about anyone else, but watching DV video on my computer monitor (Iiyama 15" model) is better than TV at 6500K and unpleasant at 9300K Colour temperatures. I'd guess that most monitors are set somewhere inbetween those by most users.

6500K is what most people get their HC Projectors calibrated to, wherease 9300K is more suited to DTP. I'm not saying that my monitor is particularly well calibrated or anything, but video does look better at a lower colour temperature.