1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DV Projection

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Alan Docherty, Feb 28, 2002.

1. Alan Docherty

Alan Docherty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone seen Mini DV footage projected? My work may shortly involve the projection of Mini DV presentations, and I wondered if anyone has experience of this. I am worried that magnifying a fairly highly compressed format may result in obvious artefacts, blocking etc.

Any advice would be very much appreciated, thanks.

2. jsmith22

jsmith22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you mean DV as captured by my Sony camcorder then I can say that the quality is excellent. I couldn't see any problems - in fact the picture is possibly better than DVD. I'm only going through a Sony Cineza via an s-video cable but it looks good to me.

regards

James

3. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,126
    DV is probably a little below dvd in the quality stakes. You'll find aliasing in diagonals and floating colours especially reds: they will look smeared on, lack resolution and bleed beyond the boundaries of the actual subject. Tips to try . If you have the option try and either get footage thats been shot in frames rather than fields or alternatively use a decent deinterlacer there are some software ones that don't render in real time but produce very good results:not a problem if you are streaming from a drive or decide if the onboard deinterlacing on the projector ( if it has any) is better/worse than buying an offboard solution.

Many of the issues discussed in the projector , prog scan and HTPC forums will be applicable to what you are trying to do.

4. Alan Docherty

Alan Docherty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help guys.

I should have given more detail in my original post. The material to be projected will have originated on film, then telecined to either Beta SP or DigiBeta and subsequently dumped to Mini DV, using a Sony DHR 1000.

We want to use a Sony Video Walkman (GVD 900) as our source for presentations, due to its portability. It will be hooked up via S-video cable to a DLP projector, screen size will be approx 6ft x 6ft.

1. Is the Video Walkman as good as the DHR1000 in playback terms?
    2. Are Panasonic Pro Mini DV tapes any good, or is there a better alternative?
    3. Considering that the material to be shown did not originate on DV, will it look horrible when blown up on a large(ish) screen?

I am new to video projection, as we have up till now been presenting on 16mm prints.

Cheers,
    Alan

5. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,126
    There should be little visible difference between the two devices apart from the possibility of one analogue output ( the s-video one) being noisier than the other just have a look but its moot anyway because s-video is about the best you will get analogue wise from DV. What you might want to consider is a DV to component convertor this may provide a better picture than s-video.

I'm not up on my tape stocks with DV.

The fact that the material has been telecined from film makes your life easier as the correct adjacent fields should make a coherent frame when deinterlaced so you should have zero interlacing artifacts: again this depends on whether the deinterlacer is either smart enough to detect the 2:2 field structure or whether it allows you to manually specify this.
    Just ensure at the telecine the do a decent job : send the film in for cleaning first and make sure they do a decent job of transfering it ( clipped blacks look bad on projection ) and tell them to go easy on the sharpening ( aperture correction). Try and find somewhere with a spirit datacine instead of an Ursa.
    Another solution might be to burn your material to DVD from digibeta ( D1 is better but not as robust for archival) at a suitable house and playback from that. This should give you marginally better quality and may work out cheaper if you havn't already bought the DV player ( you'll also have faster access to chapters with dvd and can set it to repeat etc for display purposes.)

Additionally you may find that by dumping the DV dupe onto a computer via firewire and playing back fullscreen in an editing package ( premiere can probabaly manage it) and hooking either the RGB (vga) output of the computer straight to the projector or a DVI input if the projector supports one is a better bet as the computer will perform a very good deinterlace and scale for minimal outlay ( less than a DV player for example)

6. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    Agreed - I use a Sony Digital 8 camcorder which has the same codec as DV and I'm always amazed at the clarity of footage taken with it when I project it with the HS1. I don't see why it shouldn't be as good on any other given projector either that has a decent scaler/deinterlacer.

Gav