DV pc editing packages???

pjanjua

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi i am a complete newbie and have only just purchsed a DV camcorder.

What i wanted to know was whether there was a package i could use to put my DV's onto my pc hardrive to edit then burn to DVD??

Cheers

There are several.
Affordable, Costly, Easy to Use, A bit less easy to use, Sparsely featured, fully "loaded"

The Usual Suspects are
Pinnacle Studio,
Adobe Premiere Elements
Ulead Video Studio
Ulead MovieFactory (Mainly for DVD making though it has some editiing capabilities)
Sony Vegas Movie Studio
Nero Vision 5 ( Part of Nero 8) or Nero Vision 4 ( Part of Nero 7)
Magix
Roxio Media Suite
Cyberlink DVD suite

Are generally affordable, and learnable
The listing is random and Not in any particular order of preference and not exhasutive ..
Quite a few have downloadable Trial versions which tend to be time limited fully working, or disabled in some way to give you a taster
You would need Firewire to capture and a reasonably large HDD

I have ommited the more costly and perhaps less newbee friendly titles even if some swear by them

Windows does have Movie Maker which is free and usable.TheXp version has no DVD making abilities though
There is a link to user forums to in the FAQ

Windows does have Movie Maker which is free and usable.TheXp version has no DVD making abilities though

Thanks, you are right that Vista has Windows DVD maker (available in Windows Vista Home Premium and Windows Vista Ultimate).

The Usual Suspects are
Pinnacle Studio,
Adobe Premiere Elements
Ulead Video Studio
Ulead MovieFactory (Mainly for DVD making though it has some editiing capabilities)
Sony Vegas Movie Studio
Nero Vision 5 ( Part of Nero 8) or Nero Vision 4 ( Part of Nero 7)
Magix
Roxio Media Suite
Cyberlink DVD suite

And, if you are editing from mini DV tape in standard definition, the very excellent (and good value and pretty easy to use) Serif MoviePlus 5. :smashin: Version 6 is (over-)due out some time this year, which will hopefully plug its current lack of full high def support and MPEG smart rendering. (Sorry senu, couldn't leave it unmentioned!!)

Thanks for all the info guys.

I have a JVC GR-D860 and i have connected it to my pc using the USB cable but the pc does not seem to recognise it, or anything i get no messages saying that there is another device attached as you normally do.

Is this activated by the programs you mentioned or is there another program by JVC i seem to be missing??

I checked the Manual and it does not mention anything about a driver requirement, and yes its a pc running windows
Cheers Guys

There is no driver requirement,,
There is a hardware requirement called "firewire". ( I mentioned it in my post) Your camcorder will have one ( also called DV out) and PC should have one.
( if not you can fit one yourself)
Connected up with a suitable cable ( make sure to connect the PC end first) all the programs mentioned above, ( as well as Windows Movie maker) and even WinDV will be able to capture from the tape within the camcorder
The USB is there to transfer stills, or use it as a webcam
Most MiniDV camcorders use Firewire for transfer of the DV AVI on tape, to the PC
DV AVI uses up 13Gb /hr : (hence the advice for a big HDD,) but the captured file can be deleted once you made your DVD

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom