1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dv Out?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by jpawson8, Oct 18, 2002.

1. jpawson8

jpawson8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All

I am about to puchase a digi camcorder, probably the panasonic NVGS1B. Can this cam transfer the contents of the tape onto the PC. I clicked on a link which describes DV out.

Enables the camcorder to download still images to a home computer. Moving images can be downloaded with the appropriate software and hardware.

What software and hardware would I need to do this?

I can get this camcorder for £399. The Panasonic NVDS30B is £369 which has DV in. Which cam would you recommend. It's only going to be used for recording family clips.

I don't understand why you would want to record back to the tape using DV in? How do you play it?

Many Thanks

John

2. Xeonic

Xeonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John

Yes, any camcorder with "DV out" can transfer the video to a PC. To do that you at least need a 1394 socket on your PC - this goes under many names such as Ilink and probably most commonly Firewire. If your PC does not have one, an interface card is about 40 quid.

There are numerous editing packages, some with extra hardware, varying in cost from about 50 quid to over a grand, all in essence doing the same thing, allowing you to edit your video digitally. Do a search for popular cheaper ones like ulead video studio or pinnacle studio 8, or more featured ones such as adobe premier 6 or ulead media studio.

If your cam has "DV in", the edited stuff can then be transferred back to tape digitally with no extra compression, as if you had shot it perfectly with titles and background music in the first place! That is the point of "DV in" as you mentioned. Then you can transfer it to VHS, DVD or whatever.

This is a just an overview of the many possibilities, others will chip in with their own configurations.

3. Griffin

Griffin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey !

Do you mind me asking where you saw the NVGS1B for £399 ?

4. jpawson8

jpawson8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0