1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DV out or DV in and out?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Tubbytony, Dec 29, 2003.

1. Tubbytony

Tubbytony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it worth paying the extra for an in/out DV connection?

I'm expecting to edit the camcorder recording on my PC and transfering it to DVD.

2. virgola

virgola

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you don't plan to keep a DV master tape of the edited footage you don't need it ... but remember that DV standard is higher quality than MPEG2 ...

3. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would say definitely yes it is, even if you only expect to burn DVD's sooner or later your hard disc will fill with video files and you'll want to remove them, best way to do that is to copy the edited video back to a blank tape in your camcorder at full DV quality. If you do not do this and you then want to re-edit or use some of the footage for a subsequent video you will have to use the DVD material which is very compressed and you will lose picture quality whereas you can always recover it from the tape.

Also the best way to make a VHS tape for friends and family is to play the edited video from your camcorder direct to your VCR, can't do that if you don't have DV-in

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Another thing to look for if getting the DV-in option (which I also recommend!) is to check if the cam also has analogue inputs enabled. This would be very useful if you have old analogue recording you might want to edit on a PC. You just use the DV cam to do the A>D conversion for capture.
    This is not an option on a lot of camcorders, so if you would find this feature useful then check the specs before you buy!

Mark.

5. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    No brainer really because all the DV cameras with a proper anamorphic widescreen mode seem to have DV in as well