1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dv Input

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by falkirkjock, Aug 5, 2003.

1. falkirkjock

falkirkjock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone, I will be buying a digital recorder soon (either dvd or HDD/DVD). My camcorder has a DV output, and I wondered if anybody could enlighten me as to the benefits of using this connection as opposed to S-Video? The Recorders with a compatible digital input are significantly more expensive and I'm not sure if it's worth the extra expense.

p.s. I only use the camcorder for family footage, nothing very professional.

Thanks

2. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    I would DEFINATLEY go for one with digital input as you won't lose and quality when recording.

S-Video, being analog will always lose some quality.

3. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    If you want a perfect copy dv in is a must. If you are happy with a reduced quality s-video will be ok, but you will regret it later.

It always makes me laugh when people compromise to save £100.
    You only miss the money when you pay the bill, you will miss the dv input for years if you don't have it!!

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,208
    Falkirkjock,

Have you considered a PC solution as opposed to a set-top recorder? There's no analogue to Digital conversion required so a PC could satisfy your needs adequantely. You would need a DV input (numerous PCI cards/USB Devices can be got for this purpose), a DVD Burner, appropriate software and a reasonable PC.

There are hundreds of options out there: normally you'll find software bundled with the DV card so then just need the DVD Burner.

An example of a setup could be:
    1) Pinnacle Studio Deluxe Version 8 (which provides the DV input and the editting software) priced around £80
    2) A DVD-Multi burner such as the Panasonic LFD-521E priced around £175
    3) Assorted (free) ultilities downloaded from http://www.dvdr-digest.com/

The downside of this approach is:
    1) It's a bit more complicated (a steep learning curve) - but there is plenty of support available (e.g.) http://forum.digital-digest.com/
    2) If you have an old PC your going to have to upgrade (negating any cost saving)
    3) Your PC can't really replace your VCR.
    4) It generally takes alot more time (it would need to become your hobby)

The upside of PC editting is:
    1) The end result can potentially look much better than a set-top product.
    2) It can save you money if your PC isn't too old.

5. falkirkjock

falkirkjock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much for your help everyone, I hadn't thought about using my pc (the old timer is due for replacement - P1 133!!) but will consider that option as a new machine has been on the cards for longer than the DVD recorder.

If I do buy a stand alone unit, I will definately get one with a DV input. Thanks again for your help. :smashin: