1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DV IN with the Sony TRV19E

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by darlo, Sep 14, 2003.

1. darlo

darlo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to be able to record old VHS tapes from a VCR onto my TRV19E. The manual says I can do it, but I have been unable to.

I have used the AV cables provided with the camera, but I dont get any image passed to the camcorder.

Can anyone offer me any help with this problem?

Thanks

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    To record from the analogue AV inputs you need to put the camcorder into VCR mode.
    Also you will need to connect the cables to the back of the VCR, usually via a scart connector into one of the output scarts (some on many VCRs are input only) as the front AV sockets will also be input only.

Mark.

3. darlo

darlo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks Mark. I didn't realise that there were different types of SCART socket. Chances are mine are out put only as it was only a cheap one.

Presumably, this will also be the case with TV and DVD units?

Thanks again for your help.

Regards

Chris

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    If your VCR has 2 scart sockets then the chances are that 1 will be output (to TV) only and the other will be input (& perhaps output as well).
    You can normally tell as they will be marked with a square with an arrow pointing into or out of it (or both for an I/O scart).
    A DVD with 2 scarts will be I/O to give passthrough and some TV's do output via scart for connecting to another TV or maybe to output the audio to a AV amp etc.

Mark.

5. melliott1963

melliott1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Can I just add the following.

I too had this problem and couldn't work out why until I discovered that some SCART leads are only wired for output only (i.e. to go from the camcorder to the VCR). As soon as I bought the correct SCART lead, all was OK. Have a look on Maplin's web site and they stipulate whether or not their leads are wired for output, input, or both.

As you want to go from the VCR to your camcorder, I am certain that your problem lies with the lead that came with the camcorder as these are usually only wired for transfer of data in one direction. As I said above, just look on Maplin's web site and you'll find the correct cable for your needs.