1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DV in - very patchy

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Clint C, Jun 8, 2003.

1. Clint C

Clint C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Chaps

I have a Sony TRV30E and can capture via firewire to my pc (using the Asus A7N8X deluxe motherboard, on-board iEEE sockets) quite happily. However, when my masterpiece is complete and want to send it back to the camcorder all I see on the camcorder display is 4 very small patchy blocks of the picture, so small that I can't make out what it is I'm looking at.

I've used VideoStudio 7 and Adobe Premiere 6 both failing at trying to output to the camcorder.

Any ideas extremely gratefully appreciated.

Clint. :rolleyes:

2. Clint C

Clint C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've just seen Jeremy Webster's question asking exactly the same thing... I'll give that a go first. :)

3. Clint C

Clint C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    OK, the Jeremy Webster thing isn't applicable as there doesn't seem to be any PCI latency adjustment to be made on the Asus A7N8X motherboard.

More ideas please...

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

4. DigiStuff

DigiStuff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Clintc,

Please can you give us more information first on the PC you are using , like what version of Windows you have speed, RAM etc. ALso if you can tell us if you are making the movie to the DV file format before trying to out put it back to the camcorder.

Cheers

Mark T

5. Clint C

Clint C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Mark, thanks for the reply.

The pc is running Windows XP SP1, Athlon XP2100+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9000 64MB graphics card with regular VGA Dsub connection along with sVideo out. I've also got a PCTV Rave card but I removed that on one occasion to see if the situation improved but it didn't make a blind bit of difference.

As far as I'm aware I'm outputting in DV format, when I capture, it saves all clips as avi's. So when I come to output I'm picking an avi and sending it as a DV recording. Like I said, it happens with both VideoStudio 7 and Adobe Premiere 6.

Any ideas? This is really frustrating, I spent another late night last night trying different things but I'm still back at square one.

Clint

6. DigiStuff

DigiStuff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Clint,

Ok so I take it you are making a new DV.Avi file to output to the camcorder? Can you just test , by making a 30 second clip with no effects what so ever on it and double check that it is making it in the PAL DV format please?! Just using Premiere would be fine as I run that also!! DO you have access to another DV camcorder or friends editing PC by any chance?

Do you have a broadband conection also? Reason for this is, we could maybe do a remote assistance via Messenger in XP ???

E-mail me directly if you would prefer for the information and we can just list results on the forum!

stuff@digistuff.co.uk

Also where in Wilts are you failing everything else ?!!!!

Cheers Mark

7. Clint C

Clint C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Mark, bear with me, I've spent so much time on it recently that the wife has banned me from "playing" with it tonight and to be honest I could do with a rest. I'll try your suggestions out tomorrow night and get back to you.

I do have broadband and I'm in Chippenham.

Speak to you soon. Must have sleeeeeeep...

8. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Clint,
    this may be obvious, but if new to editing I suppose its not!
    When you try to copy you video back to your DV camcorder are you playing it from the timeline (in Premiere, I don't know about Studio 7).
    To do this:
    1. Connect cam to PC with DV lead and switch on in VCR mode.
    2. Open the project in Premiere
    3. select: project > project settings > general
    4. select: playback settings
    You should now be able to play the footage back to your cam.

Sorry if you already know this, but it may not be obvious if this is your first try.

Mark.

9. Clint C

Clint C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Mate, I'll give anything a go just to get it working. I'll try it out tomorrow night and let you know the outcome. You're right I am new to editing, but AM computer literate. Thanks for all your help, this thing's driving me mental. Next update to the saga should be posted tomorrow late pm.

Thanks again.

10. Clint C

Clint C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Chaps, there have been no updates because my machine has took a turn for the worst. In my infinite wisdom I decided that maybe it was a driver issue and went for the NVidia software upgrade for my motherboard. Since then the machine wont even capture now. Next step, wipe the C: drive and start again. Not a problem as all the previously captured data is on another drive. The saga continues... Oh and it doesn't want to "roll-back" to the previous driver. I'm sure it's all for the best.

11. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry if this is a red-herring, my connection is too slow to look up the TRV30 specs...but does it have a DV-IN functionality or is it an DV-OUT only version?

12. Clint C

Clint C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Dejongj, it has DV-in and out.

13. Clint C

Clint C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Chaps, just to let you know my problems are over and I've found a solution. I borrowed a Pinnacle IEEE firewire PCI card from a friend, intalled it in my pc, tried again to get the DV recording from the pc back to DV tape and hey presto, it works. It would appear that the Asus A7N8X on board IEEE isn't up to the job. Maybe in the near future they'll bring out a driver to address this issue but for now I'm "sorted". Thanks for all your help and suggestions.