1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dv in/out ?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by xavier, Dec 1, 2002.

1. xavier

xavier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I was browsing through the Jessops catalogue to buy a MiniDV camcorder and most of them are DV out but only a few are DV in/out.

Whats the difference?

All I want to do is shoot movies for web publishing, I suppose I will end up exporting to VHS though...is it easy with MiniDV or is it better to stick to analogue for this purpose?

Last but not least, do you need a PC firewire card for all MiniDV camcorders?

Thanks all,
    Xavier

2. pilot

pilot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    as far as i know, DV IN is used for when you want to edit your footage on your computer and then send that back to the DVCAM.

3. xavier

xavier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is dv out the same thing as firewire?

I have a Mac G4 with firewire port and want to make sure I can import strainght into Premiere or something else...

4. Choddo

Choddo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, DV in/out is compatible with firewire - you get a 4pin(camcorder)-6pin(Computer) lead but note that you do need a Mac-compatibe camera, it has to provide a driver for the OS so that it can understand the specifics of the camera.

Chods

5. xavier

xavier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks mate!

where do you think I could find this?

any good website?

6. Choddo

Choddo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A firewire card? I got one yesterday from dabs.com for 18 quid including a cable and some limited software. It was listed as a "Lucent 3port firewire/Cyberlink"

Don't know yet if it's any good but how bad can it be? :)

Chods

7. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Something for you to bear in mind when choosing a camera : its worth getting dv in so that you can save your edited video back onto a dv tape on your camera, but as you say not all cameras have it. You'll have to pay more for a dv in model. However, on JVC models, even though they are marked as dv out only, they do in fact have dv in but it's switched off internally. You can easily enable it by connecting your camera to your pc with a serial cable and running a patch that you can download from the net. I've done this myself and it works a treat. Saved myself a few quid by not having to buy the next model up in the jvc range.

I think they do this because there is less import tax to pay when they import the cameras if it does not have dv in. Something to do with how they classify it as a recorder or a player.

This might apply to other makes of cameras and not just jvc - I'm not sure.

8. kilkennyman

kilkennyman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    where can you download the dv in patch from?

9. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'll have a look through my magazines when I get home from work to see if I can find it again. I'll post it tomorrow if I find it.

10. Choddo

Choddo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  11. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'll have to check if that was the site - but I'm pretty sure I still have the patch saved on my pc. I can mail it to anyone if they want it.

12. Madman

Madman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Be very careful if you are using software patches to re-enable DV-In on you camcorders. It is actually possible to screw up settings on the camera, which can be very difficult to correct. Also, this can nullify your warranty.

Check out the following site for some DV In Enablers. With these you can both enable and disable DV-In (if you need to send it for repair while still under warranty). They have both hardware and software (patches). The nice thing about these enablers is that they have been tested thoroughly on each make and model of camera, so you just pick the one for your camera.

www.datavision.com

Martin

13. Choddo

Choddo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    www.datavision.co.uk (although I expect you would be able to make that leap of intuition yourselves ;) )

14. Madman

Madman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Choddo!