1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DV-In on Panasonic E65

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by alex.lake, Dec 20, 2004.

1. alex.lake

alex.lake
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When will I ever decide what I want?

I started by wanting a low box count and thought the new wave of Media Centres (eg. the Elonex 32" TFT one) would be nice. Then I thought that Media Centre stuff isn't quite ready yet so I'll wait.

What I really want is:
    1) pause of live TV
    2) play DVD's
    3) Transfer DV camcorder footage to DVD (I've had troubles going via PC/Macs)
    4) Something that shows the time on the front

Not that fussed about twin tuner or freeview.

I had been wondering about a PVR (eg Fusion FVRT100) but now have discovered that one can't record from external sources onto them.

My latest plan is to get a DVD recorder that supports DVD-RAM - the Panasonic DMRE55 seems to fit the bill - and I like Panasonic as a brand - and is very competitively priced at around £200 for a multi-region hacked model.

However, I am now rather tempted by the DMRE65 which has a DV-In socket which would presumably give better quality transfers from my camcorder than I'd get by going via a video/s-video connector.

The best price I've seen is £249 (Richer Sounds), and I'm wondering whether the extra £50 is worth it. Does anyone here have any experience of this machine with respect to the quality difference of DV-in vs. (s-)Video input?

Many thanks!

2. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Very difficult to give advice on this. In my opinion the difference is small between the two transfer methods but anyone determined to lose as little of the original quality as possible would choose the E65.
    I bought the E60 which is similar but I have hardly used the DV input as the PC editing route is best for me.

Buying the E65 keeps your options open I suppose and it is also capable of recording high quality Linear PCM audio in its best recording mode (XP == 1 hour per DVD).