Dv-in/lanc

cj550

Standard Member
Hi everyone, i've been looking for a Sony miniDV with AV-IN and LANC, but i'm finding it hard, the list i have is below- is it really old - is that why i cant get one of these on the net? i'm just looking for a Sony miniDV with AV-IN and LANC - can you give me some UK sites where i can get these camcorders? If not how much will i have to spend to get these functions ( AV-IN+ LANC) in a modern camcorder? cheers

steve.o

Novice Member
The only current UK model I know of with both AV-IN and LANC is the DCR-HC96. Im not sure on your budget but these are available on the net for about 450/500 (600+ on the high street). The reason for the big price tag is that its Sony's flagship model in their miniDV range.

Unfortunatly most camcorders these days (at a reasonable price) are not including AV-IN on them and its not just Sonys. I guess there is less of a need to convert older analogue footage into digital and with video input devices becoming ever cheaper for computers.

Im not sure if there are still some of the older models available on some sites but here is a good place to start.

...steve.o

greencroft

Standard Member
If you fail to find a new camera with these features, you might like to know that the last Canon version that had both AV-in and LANC was the MV550i.

I have one of these to record in-car footage in a rally car from a remote bullet camera. The LANC means I can have the camcorder safely wrapped up in foam in a box and I have a wired remote control beside tha handbrake to start and stop the recording when I need to.

I daresay you could pick up a secondhand MV550i quite easily.

Hope this helps.

R

rrb007

can i ask about your mv550... i have mv500 and the procedure selecting av input involves going into play mode which means that my LANC does not work.. is te mv550 the same? if not i will try and get one i think becuase i need the lanc

thanks

greencroft

Standard Member
can i ask about your mv550... i have mv500 and the procedure selecting av input involves going into play mode which means that my LANC does not work.. is te mv550 the same? if not i will try and get one i think becuase i need the lanc

thanks
I think the 500i and 550i will probably be much the same. The procedure I go through to get it working with the bullet cam and LANC is as follows:

Power up the bullet cam.
Turn the camcorder's power switch to "play" making sure that the "tape/card" switch to tape.
Press the "rec/pause" button on the remote control (I mean the camcorder's remote control here, not the LANC).

This then brings up the picture on the camcorder's screen.

To start recording, press the pause button on the remote control.

Now, go look at your LANC and the red light should be on and you should be able to control the camcorder from there - on the one I got from Keene Electronics, I can turn the recoding on and off and power down the camcorder between stages to save on battery life.

My comment re being able to get a secondhand 550i was aimed at ebay - they were a popular camera but were superceded a few years ago so I thought a fair few might have found their way on there.

I hope this helps.

Simon.

S

StuartE

Power up the bullet cam.
Turn the camcorder's power switch to "play" making sure that the "tape/card" switch to tape.
Press the "rec/pause" button on the remote control (I mean the camcorder's remote control here, not the LANC).
I've an MV550i which i'm trying to hook a bullet camera up to for use on Trakdays, am I doing something wrong or can you only activate this with the remote cointrol and not the rec/pause button on the actual camcorder?

Thanks
Stuart

P

ppuxley

Simon

I wonder whether you can help. I have a Canon MV6i ,(that I use with a bullet cam ),which did not have the Canon remote. But i bought a lanc and that works as you describe,except for one aspect.
Having set the camera to AV in mode via the camera menu the LANC toggles between standby and record fine, but if I use it to power down completely, when I power up again the camera defaults to normal mode ie AV-in off,so I need to reset from the menu.,which rather negates the use of the LANC for this function.

From your posting you say you power down between stages ,implying when you power up again that the camcorder does power up again in AV-in mode.
is that right? If it is ,then it appears that the camcorder behaves differently from when it is set up to record AV-in without the Canon remote.

I would be interested to know what your set up does if you set it to AV-in via the menu without the use of the Canon remote, and whether yours ,too ,defaults to normal mode when powered up from fully off.

Maybe I've got to find a Canon remote if i want exactly the same functionality or maybe the camcorders are just different in this respect.

WOW ... a bit of a long one ,but if you got this far ,it would be great to get your thoughts
Thanks
Patrick

Kristian

Morning,

The Sony HC96 Camcorder mentioned above is still in stock at Ebuyer.com, Click me. It was the cheapest place I could find that actually had any in stock.

Cheers,

Kris.

greencroft

Standard Member
Simon

I wonder whether you can help. I have a Canon MV6i ,(that I use with a bullet cam ),which did not have the Canon remote. But i bought a lanc and that works as you describe,except for one aspect.
Having set the camera to AV in mode via the camera menu the LANC toggles between standby and record fine, but if I use it to power down completely, when I power up again the camera defaults to normal mode ie AV-in off,so I need to reset from the menu.,which rather negates the use of the LANC for this function.

From your posting you say you power down between stages ,implying when you power up again that the camcorder does power up again in AV-in mode.
is that right? If it is ,then it appears that the camcorder behaves differently from when it is set up to record AV-in without the Canon remote.

I would be interested to know what your set up does if you set it to AV-in via the menu without the use of the Canon remote, and whether yours ,too ,defaults to normal mode when powered up from fully off.

Maybe I've got to find a Canon remote if i want exactly the same functionality or maybe the camcorders are just different in this respect.

WOW ... a bit of a long one ,but if you got this far ,it would be great to get your thoughts
Thanks
Patrick
Patrick - Not sure I can help you here. My lipstick cam lives in the rally car and I have my camcorder at home and the two only meet up when I am on an event so I can't test this out for you. I was not even aware of any on screen menus on the camcorder. I have always done it as described above using the Canon remote for initial setup and on the 550i with the LANC that I have, it works just fine. Sorry not to be able to be more help.
Simon.

Top Bottom