1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DV IN enabling question

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by goldenfleece, Jan 9, 2002.

1. goldenfleece

goldenfleece

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am a little confused by this DV enabling issue. Is it better to buy a camcorder, ie the Panasonic NVDS28 that has DV IN/OUT, or the DS27 which has DV out only, and then enable DV in with the software you can get from www.lynxdv.com and save money?

Is this correct? Given the choice I could save £60, but how reliable is the DIY enabling, and I have heard it can void warranties as well.

2. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    The difference is just £60!!! No contest – get the DVin enabled camera. Its going to cost you £30 to £40 to get the cheaper one enabled, which means your faffing about over £20. Next…

3. Floandal

Floandal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi again Goldenfleece,
    Chris is right, you are trying to save a few pounds on a relatively large investment, which, if you are in my position, will have to give a few years service. So don't spoil the ship for a "happorth" of tar ! Are you being carried away with the race for our custom being carried out by retailers ? shaving a pound here, and a pound there. There comes a time when you have to weigh quality of service, as well as the product, against the "all out lowest price".
    I appreciate the agony you are going through, the retail market is a minefield. But one other point that you should bear in mind, widget enabling does invalidate the warranty. You MAY be able to disable it, if you have to put it in for repair, but if the camcorder is defunct, will you be able to, before you take it in ?
    Again, good luck, --- Alan