1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DV, iLink and Firewire from Panny Cam?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Dimmy, May 26, 2003.

1. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Panasonic nvds38 DV Cam, and am looking for the best way to transfer the video capture to my home computer for possible editing.

Unfortunately - my graphics card doesn't have an S-Video input.

The camera has an iLink output and I was wondering if this could be connected to the Firewire port on my PC to transfer the video capture in 'the digital realm'.

If so - what software would I need to do this? And what would my PC detect should I connect the camera to it via iLink?

Thanks in Advance.

2. m@rk

m@rk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +360
    You don't say what OS you are running.

Yes iLink = Firewire so the only hardware you are going to need is a firewire card which can be picked up from all the usual hardware places.

As for software. If you are running Windows XP then you have the built in movie editing software which is a bit basic (although I am told the free upgrade to V2 is better) but does work.

On the other hand, have a look for some hardware/ software bundles which might save you some cash.

There are also a couple of freeware programs out there (go to Google) although I have never played with them.

Finally, you might want to check that your camcorder has DV IN enabled so that you can record back to tape once you have finished editing.

PS

I have moved this to the camcorder section so that you get more answers.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    The chances are that even if your graphics card had an S-video socket this would be an output only. Also this would only be a low quality analogue port, so not the best solution.

As Networkguy said firewire & iLink (and ieee1394 & DV ports) are all exactly the same thing. All you need to connect the camcorder to the port on the PC is a 6pin (PC) to 4pin (cam) DV cable. This will transfer the footage all in DV format (subject to the capture software not converting it) keeping the origional digital quality.

As also mentioned Microsoft Movie Maker is bundled with Windows XP, but is too basic so download the free upgrade to MM2. Other popular software is Pinnacle Studio 8 (make sure you get all the latest download patches) for around £70
    The PC will detect you camcorder by the make & model of the cam.

Mark.

4. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Merci Beacoup.

I'll try this & keep you informed of how it pans out.

Thanks for moving the thread networkguy

5. army

army
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use the following software & hardware with great results ,Sony Digital 8 TR- 7000E with DV out through firewire/ilink cable/card into PC capturing DV using Videostudio 6. I then convert the DV into mpeg 2 (svcd) video using Procoder which does a great job of encoding. Honestech 3.0 for editing. Then i finally use moviefactory 2 for authoring & burning onto cd. of course you can use all of the above for DVD also, but i find svcd good enough for video 8 & hi8 , a PC DVD writer will come next when i start converting my digitally recorded tapes.