DV editing on Panasonic NV-DS38

Dr.Rock

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Pardon me for being a DV-editing virgin, but I need some advice.

I have a Panasonic NV-DS38 DV camcorder and an old PII 450 PC with an old analogue TV/video capture card installed.

I filmed some holiday footage and urgently need to back them up onto another digital tape. My idea was to purchase an appropriate DV-editing card for the PC, capture the contents of the DV-tape from my camera onto my hard disk, then somehow output the footage from the PC back into my camera into a blank DV-tape. Can this be done? What's a decent DV-editing card for me to buy and which would allow me to do what I want? I notice some cards need a firewire connection which my PC doesn't have. Wouldn't the DV-cards be PCI based and have the necessary ports for me to conenct my camera to? And what kind of connection lead would I need (I noticed DV cards don't come with the leads).

WIll DV-to-DV copying ensure maximum quality is retained?

PS: I lost my instruction manual for my camera (cleaner threw it away when she was tidying up the house!), so I'm sorry if some of my questions were already answered in the documentation and I wasn't able to read it.

Thanks.

Firstly, your PC is probably marginal for video editing. The processor speed is just about the minimum that will work. You will need Windows 98SE as a minimum, and a large fast HDD (40Gb min 7200rpm).

If your system is OK then buy a standard Firewire port card (a IEEE1394 OHCI compatible) and Studio 7 (or 8). The Firewire card will be PCI, and on your system, should not share an IRQ.

You will need a 6 pin to 4 pin firewire cable to connect to the camera.

The editing application will transfer the data from the camera to the HDD. It does not convert the video, it only "packages" it as an AVI file, so the quality is exactly the same as on the DV tape, and editing does not change it. Only transitions and effects, titles etc will result in a conversion.

After editing, provided your camera has DV-in enabled you can transfer the edited video back onto DV tape.

Does anyone know if the Panasonic NV-DS38 DV camera has DV-input enabled? If so, is the camera compatable with, say, Pinnacle DV Studio Deluxe for importing and exporting?

Thanks.

Dr Rock,

Not sure about the 38 but I've just enabled DVin on my DS-35 (isnt the 38 the same but with a removable storage card?)

Dave

Thanks Dave N. Yes, I think you're right about the difference between the 35 and 38, the 38 is same as 35 but with soem extras (perhaps just the removable memory card for digital pix). How do I enable DV-in, or is it already enabled? Sorry, but I lost the instructions for my camera.

Thanks.

From the info i have seen the DS38 has DV in, you should not need to enable it.

Dr Rock,

I guess it may depend when you bought it. When I got mine about 2.5 yrs ago it certainly didnt have it - again I'd assume that the 38 is the same. Perhaps later models had it enabled. Got mine done using www.smartdv.co.uk
www.smartdv.co.uk
About £40. Also bought the 4-6 pin IEEE1394 cable - about £15. My PC already had a Firewire port so cant comment on that. Editor is Pinnacle which seems to be fine.

Dave

Hiya not sure if anyone could help me with this, but
I've got an old panasonic camcorder (NV-DS38), well its a few year old and i'd like to transfer my videos to notebook i was told i need a firewire, i bought that yesterday and managed to connect them both however nothing happend im guessing i need some sort of software.
so if some one could be a lifesaver and help........... xx

can't remember whether you do need software installing but moviemaker should be able to see it. you might need to open moviemaker tho first.

i have an NV DS33 that i still use once in a while but planning to replace it with a sony HD

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom