DV editing advice urgently needed

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by goldenfleece, Jun 4, 2002.

1. goldenfleece

goldenfleece

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. I am looking at my DV editing options at the moment. I now know I cannot DV IN enable my Sony digital 8 TRV140E at the present time, so I am looking at alternative ways of saving the PC edited work. I know its a Bank Holiday but can someone get their head round these questions and advise me so I dont spend too much money on things I dont need or that wont work. As many opinions as possible would be ideal, as I dont have any real experience of PC editing yet, really want to get the hardware issues clear in my head.

1) Is it possible to edit DV on a PC and export it from the PC as an analogue VIDEO/AUDIO out signal direct to a VHS machine with analogue line inputs, or is the PC limited to exporting only a digital signal? Would I need extra cards or software to do this? This would be my preferred way of making VHS copies of the PC edited material.

2) If I get a PC with a CD Writer, can I then store my full digital quality movie on a CD or is a standard CD too small? Then since I cant save back to the camcorder, I can delete the file on the hard drive having stored it on CD. but in full digital 8 quality of course, not compressed.

3) If I get a PC with a DVD writer, how easy is it to create a standard DVD with a front end menu, choice of versions or sound tracks, etc, that will play on any standard TV set top DVD player. Will this be extra and expensive software, or will DVD writers come with all this software bundled?

4) I know DVD players can play audio CD disks, could they play back digital video stored on a normal CD if it was in the correct format? What file format is a standard DVD release movie stored as?

5) Which DV editing software will support the new TRV140E camcorder, as I know some have compatibility lists. I dont have any web addresses for any software so I dont know how to check this. Its pretty new which is why I cant DV-IN enable it. Dont want to buy expensive software and find it rejects my machine. Will any Firewire card be OK or are they fussy about what camcorder is plugged in? Again, dont want to make expensive mistakes and find one item is wrong somewhere in the set-up.

Yes a lot of issues here. I want to be able to DV edit my work, and since I cant copy back to the camera I need a way of permenant storage of the edited movie as something I can make copies of if required, and also make analogue standard VHS versions from the digital master. Many thanks if you can show me the way to go.

2. m@rk

[email protected]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Depending on your DVD player, you could burn the movie to a VCD (some DVDs play these) and then record to VHS from the DVD.

You may need a program called Tempg (or something like that) to code it but it's worth a shot.

You don't say what DVD player you have.

3. Clueless

Clueless
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1) Edit DV on a PC and export to VHS.
    You can, a graphics card with TV out is needed. ATI AIW Radeon is good. For DV editing, lots of software around, Adobe Premiere 6 is my choice. You will also need a firewire port. Sometimes might have a budget DV edit package bundled with it. Or if you want to spend more money, a dedicated capture card with Firewire port built in is a possibility.

2) PC with a CD Writer, a standard CD is too small. Count on 13 GB for 1 hour of DV. I dont know what Digital 8 is like but expect similar. Tape is the best archival media, why not keep as camcorder tapes ? If you search on Google for DV-in solns might see more on your model.

3) PC with a DVD writer, easy to create a standard DVD with a front end menu, choice of versions or sound tracks, etc, that will play on any standard TV set top DVD player. DVD writers come with all this software bundled if you pay for the retail versions, the Pioneer A04 does.

4) DVD players can play digital video stored on a normal CD if in MPEG 1 ( VCD ) or MPEG 2 ( SVCD ). A CD writing program such as Nero will do the formatting if you give it the appropriate MPEG file. The video part of DVD is MPEG 2 VBR but there is a lot more to it. Depends on the compatibility of the DVD player but usually yes.

5) DV editing software , see above. You can get a Firewire card for 30 £ so not particularly expensive if there is a problem.

But I think you need to do a lot more reading before you get started. Read the forum, search on Google.

4. JefUK

JefUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    goldenfleece

1. To output analogue video from a PC you will need an analogue capture card. A good one is Pinnacle DC10+ (£135 from DABS), which comes with the Studio 7 editing software. You could capture the video as analogue and edit the resulting MJEPG files. The card will output composite and S-video signals. The sound will come from the PC's sound card. This will enable the video to be written to VHS/SVHS tape. The capture quality will not be quite as good as you would get with a 1394 capture card (firewire), but still be very good if you capture at the highest quality settings. The Studio 7 software can capture analogue from the DC10+ card, and DV from any 1394 card.

2. The video can be written to a CD as a Video Compact Disc (VCD). Most DVD players will play VCD's, but most prefer CD-RW's rather than CD-R's. You will need to check the compatibility of your DVD player. See http://www.vcdhelper.com/ A VCD will hold about an hour of video at a quality similar to VHS. A higher quailty SVCD can be made but is much less compatible with DVD players and will hold considerably less than 1 hour. For VCD the video files will be converted to MPEG1 (MPEG2 for SVCD), but Studio 7 will do this for you. Better quality will be obtained by a stand alone encoder such as TMPGEnc. http://www.tmpgenc.net/e_main.html

3. A PC with a DVD writer is the best way to output the video, albeit at a higher cost. All current DVD writers come with burning and DVD authoring software - you will need to check whether these are also provided on any ready built machine. The quailty from DV, firewire, encoding and burning to DVD is superb.

4. DVD players will play DVD's (use DVD-R or DVD+R for maximum comapatibility). Most will play VCD's, a few will play SVCD's.

5. For compatibilty of Studio 7 see http://www.pinnaclesys.de/uk/,
    but there should not be any problem with a standard 1394 card and the Sony. The IEEE1394 card should be OHCI compatible for it to control the camera tape transport. Again most 1394 cards are OK.

The best way is to use a fairly powerfull PC with a large and fast (7200rpm - 40Gb min) HDD for video; a OHCI 1394 card, Pinnacle Studio 7, and a DVD+RW/+R drive. Use TMPGEnc for encoding to MPEG2. The quailty will be virtually the same as commercial CD's.

5. Cliff

Cliff
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,265
    Jeff and question regarding Studio 7 and TMPG.

If you are making a DVD how do you save your edited (analogue) movie in Pinnacle? Do you render using a compressed avi file with something like Irdeto or DV. Then convert using TMPg to MPEG2?

6. JefUK

JefUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Cliff

Render the analogue capture & edit to a DV-AVI using Studio 7 and use this file as input to TMPGEnc. Rendering to an Indeo AVI will not give as good quality.

If a lower quality is acceptable render the video directly to MPEG2 using Studio 7.