Dv downloads too large

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by lesclark, Jul 8, 2002.

1. lesclark

lesclark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just purchased a Sony PC101 camcorder and DV Premiere LE editing software which came with a Texas instruments firewire card.
    On attempting to download a 45 minute video to the PC, DV Premiere stops after about 10 minutes and tells me the file is too large. The help menu says something about the firwire card and or the hard disk maybe limiting the file size. There is plenty of space on the hard disk.
    Can anyone throw any light on this please ???

2. Slipperman

Slipperman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

What operating system are you using?

If Win 95/98 (Me?) you are hitting the file limit size of 2Gb (there is a way of getting to 4GB but I forget), imposed by the FAT file system

Win 2000/XP allows you to use NTFS files which go way beyond that limit.

There are utilities that will allow you to capture into seperate files which can be seamlessly joined in your editing software, have a look in the forum below

PS lots of good advice can by found on the Computer Video magasine forums

Get to them via www.dvdoctor.net

3. lesclark

lesclark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm using recently installed (upgrade from 98) Windows XP and retained the FAT file system. If I switch across to NTSC will this solve my problem ???

I managed to seamlessly put the clips together with the editing software it's just an inconvenience at present

4. lesclark

lesclark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry I obviuosly meant NTFS

5. JefUK

JefUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    FAT16 supports files up to 2Gb (approx 8 mins of DV)

FAT32 supports files up to 4Gb (approx 17 mins of DV)

NTFS has no limit and more efficient use of physical disc space. Changing to NTFS is a one way process!

However, all you need to do is capture just below the time limit, rewind slightly, and capture the next segment. You can then edit and, if required seamlessly join the segments together again with Premier.

6. lesclark

lesclark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys. I converted just the partition I use for video capture to NTFS and it now captures big clips wonderfully.