1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DV Capture Via PC or DVD Recorder, Whic Is Better?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Kevo, Sep 1, 2004.

1. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    I've recently got back into camcorders and I import the DV tapes to a standalone DVD Recorder (Pan E100) via Firewire onto RAM Disk set at the highest quality setting (xp 1hr).

No complaints with the quality, everything looks fine and also I can do a 'partial erase' before importing it on the PC.

I also have a Firewire socket on the PC's motherboard (are these of teh same qiality as a Firewire card?).

So, question is....

Would I be better in capturing straight to the PC via the firewire and keeping it in raw DV format until the render stage?, bear in mind that it's going to end up on DVD.

I've hear that the codecs used on the Pan E100 are of high quality and are less likely to get dropped frames. But it does add another layer of compression to the process as well as another time consuming process, but the file size is a lot smaller that a 13 gig dv file (trade offs!!)

My current procedure is....
    DVCam > RAM Disk, VRO > mpg using DVDWS or Video Sudio 8
    Edit mpg in VS8 > Render with TMPG at highest settings.
    Rendered file> DVD Workshop2 > Burn to DVD-R (no further re-ncoding on video).

The finished file size on the DVD is only 1.7 gig at 1 hour long and with a few extra bits added like music, etc after starting out as a 3.9gig file on the RAM disk.
    Could I fit 2 x 1.7gig files on and have a 2 hour DVD and still maintain the same quality?

It just seems a bit small to me and somewhere down the line it's not set at it's optimum, although the finished article looks and sounds fine.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    MoBo onboard firewire is fine. All firewire ports (should) run to exactly the same standard.

Editing a compressed file is going to loose you some, and possibly a fair amount of quality. Running through several processess that are compressing/changing the file format will also reduce quality.
    The best quality final product will definately be to capture directly to the PC, but different software & hardware can give vastly different quality of results. From the PC you should get 1 hour on a 4.7Gb DVD disk, but you say your final file that is copied to disk is only 1.7Gb. Therefore you must be reducing bit rate etc. But at the end of the day you also say you are happy with the final results. This does mean also that you could fit a couple of hours footage onto a single disk.

So I think the only way to decide if you want to go the full PC route is to try it on a DV tape and get the final output to DVD and compare the quality against one done with the standalone recorder. Of course if you do see a large improvement then you may need to go back to all your old DV tapes and remake them onto DVD.

Mark.

3. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    On closer inspection the quality looks quite compressed in parts, especially scenes of the sea on my recent holiday.

Im using TMPG to do the encoding with an 8000 constant bit rate which should be more than enough so I can't understand why it's being reduced so much in size.

Think i'll take your advice and go downthe PC route before I get too far into this project.

Thanks

4. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Did you pay for TMPGenc ?

I thought that MPEG-2 encoding was a 30 day trial & after that it would only encode to MPEG-1.

5. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    :confused:

Odd question.
    Why do you ask?

Maybe I did buy it or maybe i'm still within the 30 day trial period.

6. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I ask because I was wondering if you had trial version , gone past the trial period & TMPGEnc wasn't letting you ouput at the bitrate you were specifiying. Because an hour of footage at 8Mbs should take up more than your resultant file.

7. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Sorry, mistook what you were getting at.
    Yes, it's the full version.