1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DV capture problem with Firewire hard drive

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by finnis, Dec 23, 2004.

1. finnis

finnis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Bought myself a nice new Lacie 160gb external firewire drive for video editing purposes. When I tried to capture footage using imovie 2 (got a Mac) it told me the disk is too slow.
    This is weird as imovie 2 works perfectly with my internal drive, which is much slower in terms of both read and write speeds.

I've freed up loads of space on my internal drive now (by copying loads of stuff to the lacie) so I can capture video OK and copy it across, but it kind of defeats the object.

I'm puzzled. Any ideas anyone?

2. Duncan Craig

Duncan Craig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    The best place to ask would be the iMovie forum on Apple site.
    But seeing as I'm here, check that your drive is formatted MAC OS Extended, I have two Lacie 200GB d2 drives and they run fine with all my Macs, but that's using Final Cut Pro.

Another thing would be to try putting the drive and the camera on separate firewire ports.

3. finnis

finnis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks, Duncan. I'll try the Apple forum. Heard good things about Final Cut Pro... is it as good as people say?

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,388
    I've always seen it recommended to do this as the individual ports have their own throughput rather than the 2 devices sharing it and causing a bottle neck when the 2 devices are daisey chained.
    2 ports on a single firewire card is fine, you don't need 2 cards.

Mark.