1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DV capture and rendering question.

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Orbitalzone, Jul 2, 2003.

1. Orbitalzone

Orbitalzone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Can someone tell me at which stage is the most critical when it comes to DV editing on a PC - ie to have no lost frames etc.

I read that it's best to have no other programs running when editing... so is the computer at it's most critical state during capture from camcorder or when rendering the finalised movie?

Hope that makes sense!

:smashin:

2. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do not have PC (Windows) experience, but a lot on the MAC and Linux. In my experience there are two critical stages: during capture and when writing it back to DV tape.
    I always render first on my Mac or Linux box before writing back. If you want to use the system during rendering that is fine, the rendering process just takes a bit longer. But that is nice of Cinerella on Linux where you can distribute the rendering across multiple servers if you have them....
    I am assuming of-course that you are talking about a non-realtime non-linear editing setup....

Cheers,

Jean-Paul

3. Duster

Duster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd say rendering the finalised movie & recording it back to camcorder

4. VintageMark

VintageMark
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm no expert on this at all...

But to me it seems that its impossible for editing or rendering to affect the output in *speed* terms...

When rendering footage for output surely the only thing thats happening is that digital data is being mathmatically manipulated? If thats the case it shoulnt matter whether you edit/render on a Pentium 60Mhz or a P4 3GHz... only the amount of time involved changes...

I can understand DV into a PC, or PC footage back to DV being a problem though... the data rate to the PC is constant... if the PC is not fast enough to accept and process that data to disk... the frames are dropped...

And if you burn back to DV... and your PC chokes as it tries to shift a large file... again... the DV tape is moving at a constand speed and so your transfer is messed up.

I hope my logic is correct, I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will correct me if I'm wrong! :)

Mark.

5. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mark,

I am with you on that one. However if you render and want to output immediately to DV tape there may be a factor in the processor that it can't provide the data fast enough to keep up with the DV transfer rate. That is why I normal render first and then write back to tape.

Cheers,
    JP

6. VintageMark

VintageMark
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JP,

You are of course quite correct, I should have explained myself better...

Mark.